Views
Helpful
Replies

problem to connect IPAD to wifi

aurorasanz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 2 WLC with 2 SSID and I have seen the IPAD have problems to connect to wifi. They try to connect but sometimes do and sometimes do not. Then they say: "impossible to connect to wifi X". This only happens with IPAD or iphones, not with other pc.

I have seen this uses to happen after the IPAD have tried to connect to any SSID different and then try to connect again to the original one. I have connected them creating the network from the first: selecting type of authentication and so on, but this do not always run.

What do you think about this, team?

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thank you very much.

12 Replies 12

aurorasanz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again,

By the way, I think it is not necessary to tag more vlans on the AP port on the switch than the native vlan which is ap-manager, because the WLC is the one that manages the IP assigment and data traffic. Is it right? I suppose it is enough with having an interface defined for each SSID on the WLC, each one belonging to each VLAN.

Tell me if it should be configured a trunk on the AP switch. I think no.

Thank you.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With these iOS devices its a know issue that they might fail to connect if you use the wrong type of encryption. If your using WPA, then you only need to configure TKIP with that. If using WPA2, then you use AES. Don't use both or mix and match.

If this isn't your issue, then try an open authentication and see if that works.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello Scott,

I have been reading some articles about this problem with IPAD, which I include only for reference for others:

Yes, it is true there are problems with these devices. I can't know why it fails sometimes and not always.

Well, I have tried with WPA2, because this is the requisite. Anyway, I will consider this is like a "bug of iOS", so there is nothing to do.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Well I have a few iPads and an iPhone and don't have issues.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

codflanglers
Level 1
Level 1

We have noticed with iPads and iPhones that when you are attempting to connect to a new network, it will say unable to connect. However, a couple of retries and it goes in no problem. To be honest the devices aren't that great on wireless.

We also noted that having multiple SSIDs broadcast and having the SSID you are trying to connect to hidden causes similar problems. I guess that may come down to controller configuration, although it's only Apple devices that seem to have had the issue.

Start with Scott's suggestion of connecting them to an "open authentication" network.  Hidden or not should not present a problem for the iOS devices.  Also, if you have multiple networks that these devices will need to connect to- like say a corporate and guest- you will want to make sure Fast SSID Change is enabled globally on the WLC.  From the WLC GUI go to the "CONTROLLERS" tab and it's under the general configuration.  I've seen more than once that this feature being disabled causes much pain and suffering to iOS users.

For your other question.  If your APs are being operated in Local Mode with your client data centrally switching back to the Wireless LAN Controller, then the APs should only be connected to an Access Port.  The only time you should be trunking a lightweight AP is if you are operating in FlexConnect mode and locally switching your client data.  A separate use-case would be if you are operating an AP in Rogue Detector mode, but that's a different story all-together from your scenario.

Hello David,

Thank you very much for your help. Really it was not enabled "Fast SSID changes" as you told me. Anyway I can't do more tests because unexpectedly customer has forgotten this issue and want to do other installation using Palo Alto and more devices...

I have proposed to try but they are not keen. I don't know why.

Also thank you for your second comment about the configuration of the AP port. It is very curious to see that in the configuration guide there is not a guide for this. At least I have not found it. But I supposed it should be access port with only the vlan for comm with WLC.

I will rate your answer.

Thank you to everybody of course.

Thanks For Your Good Suggestion.

Hello David,

bit late this, but I had the issue of iPhones not connecting, claiming that the password is incorrect.
Enabling the 'Fast SSID change' paramater, as suggested by you, took care of the problem.

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Occasionally while using your iOS device, you may notice unexpected Wi-Fi behavior, such as:

• Difficulty locating or connecting to a network
  • Unexpected Wi-Fi signal strength or disconnects
  • Unable to  access the Internet
  • Not automatically connecting to Wi-Fi when expected

Follow these steps to troubleshoot the above issues.

1. Be sure that you are in range of your Wi-Fi router (access point).
  2. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi off and then on again.     
  3. Confirm that your Wi-Fi router and Cable or DSL modem are  connected to power, turned on, and indicate that they are connected to  the Internet.     
    • If not, refer to your network administrator or ISP for assistance.
  4. Restart your iOS device.
  5. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you are  connected.  Then tap The right arrow button and Forget this Network.  Try to connect to your desired Wi-Fi network again.     
    • Note: You will need to enter your Wi-Fi password again if your desired network requires one.
  6. Turn your Wi-Fi router  off and then on again2.   If your ISP also provides cable or phone service, check with them  before attempting this step to avoid interruption of service.
  7. Update your device to the latest version of software.
  8. Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware2.

Hi Ravi,

Yes, these proofs were tried with no success. It is one of the links I included as reference..

Maybe it is a problem of the IPAD, that as codflanglers said, you have to do several tries... I don't know. 

Well, thank you anyway.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card