Helpful
Replies

Problem to deleting an IOS in a Cisco AP AIR-CAP3502I-E-K9

kevinmelka1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with a Cisco AP.

The reference of this AP is an AIR-CAP3502I-E-K9.

In fact, i want to connect this access point in a controller (WCS) with this reference : 7.0.230.0

I succeed to put the good IOS (ap3g1-k9w8-tar.152-4.JB6.tar) on the AP but when I try to delete the old one, i have this error message :

"Problems deleting current version"

After, when i write commands to boot the good IOS on the AP, the AP doesn't want to upgrade.

Anyone has an idea ?

Thanks in advance.

19 Replies 19

You just simply need to have a recovery image on this AP ..rcvk9w8... & let it download the proper image from WLC.

Connect this AP on the same vlan as WLC management IP subnet & make sure AP gets IP & register it to WLC.

If any issues attache the AP console output during this process.

refer this post on how to load an image using mode button

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks for your help but we did it.

You can see the error message in attachments.

I want to upgrade Cisco AP thanks to the controller.

For this, i succeed to delete the old IOS on the AP (there is enough space in the flash after this operation).

After, i extract the .tar file which contains the good IOS but when the AP extracts the good IOS, i have this error message :

ERROR: Problems deleting current version.
ERROR: Partial copy may still exist.
archive download: takes 143 seconds

examining image...
%Error opening capwap:/ap3g1 (Not enough space)

Anyone has an idea ?

You can see the attachment just above this message for more information.

Remove unneeded files from flash to free up space for the new image and
re-attempt the download.

Deleting Files

When you no longer need files on a flash memory device, you can permanently delete them.

Use the delete command to remove any type of file.

Use the software clean command to remove unused package files and provisioning files.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3-2_0_se/system_management/appendix/iosfsApp/swiosfs.html#wp1005391

mohanak, you give me a command for a switch not for a AP.

I can't make the command : "software clean flash:".

Anyone has an idea to resolve my problem ?

When you issue a dir or show flash, this is where you see everything including the old image. If you look, the image is a directory not a file. So in order to delete an image from flash, you need to issue the following:

ap# delete /f /r flash:<image file Names>

hope this helps

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your help.

In fact, I succeed to delete the old IOS because when i do the command show dir, there is nothing in the flash.

After, when i connect the AP on the controller to recover the same IOS of the controller, I have this error message :

examining image...

And yet, there is nothing in the flash.

I don't understand this problem.especially as i succeed to upgrade an IOS on the same model of Cisco AP in doing this command : delete /f /r flash:old_IOS.

There is a few things.... Don't worry about the AP trying to boot to the image you deleted unless you go and set the boot variable.  If you get an error about free space, then look at the flash and delete any error log files and any other images that might be stored. You may want to keep the recovery image (rcv) in case you want to go back to lightweight.  I'm testing some AP's and deleting the image to inspect the join and image download and I get the same error, but I don't need to go and add another step to set the boot:)

-Scott

-Scott

Where are logs in the flash ?

Because as i told, we have nothing in the flash (it's empty).

Cisco AP want to delete an IOS but there is nothing inside the flash because before i deleted it.

Okay, here is the deal:)

When you issue a dir or show flash, that will show you everything. If you don't have crash files or error logs, then don't worry about that. If you want the 3502 to join a WLC, not WCS, then you need the recovery image.  When the AP joins, it will download the correct image from the WLC. 

-Scott

-Scott

The download from WLC is ok.

The problem is during this command : "Deleting current version flash:/..."

This is the complete error message :

Deleting current version: flash:/...

examining image...

*Jun  2 08:37:13.967: %DTLS-3-BAD_RECORD: Erroneous record received from (Masked IP): Duplicate (replayed) record
*Jun  2 08:37:16.849: capwap_image_proc: encounter flash problem, retry here
*Jun  2 08:37:16.849: %CAPWAP-5-AP_IMG_DWNLD: Required image not found on AP. Downloading image from Controller.
*Jun  2 08:37:16.852: Loading file /ap3g1...

Deleting current version: flash:/...
archive download: takes 148 seconds

examining image...
*Jun  2 09:07:14.417: %DTLS-3-BAD_RECORD: Erroneous record received from Masked IP: Duplicate (replayed) record
*Jun  2 09:07:17.359: capwap_image_proc: encounter flash problem, retry here
*Jun  2 09:07:17.359: %CAPWAP-5-AP_IMG_DWNLD: Required image not found on AP. Downloading image from Controller.
*Jun  2 09:07:17.362: Loading file /ap3g1...

archive download: takes 0 seconds

I have always my problem.

I can't upgrade my Cisco thanks to the controller.

I have the error message again.

Anyone has a solution ?

Up please !!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card