cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS CAPWAP Tunnel Traffic on LAN

brentpavlovich
Level 1
Level 1

I've been tasked with finding a way to limit the amount of bandwidth our Guest WLAN uses at each location. Our current setup involves a number of 3700 APs at numerous remote sites that tunnel their traffic back to the controller (3504) in our data center. There are two WLANs, 1) internal production and 2) guest. Production we want to give all available bandwidth on the WAN. For guest however we need to limit that to a certain percentage of the WAN.

Because all of our sites have different WAN sizes we can't use a standard rate limit WLAN wide. So my thought was to somehow tag the capwap tunnel between the AP and the controller carrying the guest WLAN traffic with a certain QoS marking and then police that marking on the routers at each location depending on what the sites bandwidth is. I don't care as much about the traffic downstream of the AP (being the actual wireless traffic itself) but rather the wired traffic between the AP and the controller traversing the WAN. 

So that leads me to my question, what is the best way to tag ALL traffic for a specific WLAN with some type of QoS marking so I can police it on the router? I dont care if  the traffic is voice, video, or netflix, if its on the guest WLAN, i want to to be all be marked the same. 

Thank you to any and all replies!

4 Replies 4

check your WLAN for Guest is configured with "Silver" QoS profile (under WLANs ->'select your ssid"  QoS -> ). In this way guest traffic is marked as 'Best Effort' & not taking bandwidth of your priority traffic (voice/video)

Under same page, you can configure bandwidth restrictions (if required). However from wireless point of view it is counter productive. When you slow down clients in a wireless cell it will affect everyone as others has to wait long for those slow clients.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,

The WLAN guest is using the Bronze profile. And yea i can't set the bandwidth on the WLAN because the WAN is different at each location. By using the bronze profile, will that tag all traffic in that tunnel with a specific marking that i can see on the LAN side? Attached is a screen shot of the bronze profile. 

Thanks

Not possible as far as I know.
I assume the local sites don't have a direct internet exit?
If yes, then you could use flexconnect local switching for the guest SSID and give that VLAN directly at each site a lower priority on the router. That has two advantages, first: the guest-internet traffic doesn't traverse the WAN link and second: you can put a lower, site specific, priority to it.

No at this time they don't have direct internet. That would be the ideal solution. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: