Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about settings in QoS profle.

patrick.kofler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Does anybody know a detailed explanation on how the following parameters in a QoS profile interact with the CAPWAP encapsulated packet as a whole? The documentation is a bit sparse about them.

• Maximum Priority
  • Unicast Default Priority
  • Multicast Default Priority

Specifically I am interested at the following junction point marked in red:

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Patrick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Patrick,

These options are there to address specific issue.

In older AireOS codes (I think prior to 7.4) when you enable WMM on your WLAN (say platinum) and your wireless frames comes from a non-WMM (no UP value) client, then WLC will mark them to WLAN configured QoS profile value by default (in this case to platinum).

To change that behaviour Unicast/Multicast default behaviour settings added in confiugration.

Maximum priority is for the capped value (ie Platinum - EF, Gold - AF41, etc)

Note that since 8.0 onward QoS behavior changed and you can trust DSCP even on WLC connected switchports (so no QoS profile required). See below for detail explaination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhmhIojaEE8

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hi Patrick,

These options are there to address specific issue.

In older AireOS codes (I think prior to 7.4) when you enable WMM on your WLAN (say platinum) and your wireless frames comes from a non-WMM (no UP value) client, then WLC will mark them to WLAN configured QoS profile value by default (in this case to platinum).

To change that behaviour Unicast/Multicast default behaviour settings added in confiugration.

Maximum priority is for the capped value (ie Platinum - EF, Gold - AF41, etc)

Note that since 8.0 onward QoS behavior changed and you can trust DSCP even on WLC connected switchports (so no QoS profile required). See below for detail explaination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhmhIojaEE8

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: