Views
Helpful
Replies

question about the cisco wireless solution

khang2711
Level 1
Level 1

Dear anyone,

I have 1 Head office and 20 braches. Now, I want to deploy the wireless solution. The wireless solution must comply some requirements:

- Centralize wireless management solution means IT at HO can manage wireless at Branches.

- At branches, IT has created key and provide to the customer without contacting to IT at HO.

- The solution must ensure the high availability.

If I invest the solution of Cisco, what I must buy?

Please answer me early.

Best Regards,

Duy Khang

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is what I would say. Get 2 Cisco 5508 WLC that has enough AP license for the amount if APs you need at all locations. Look at the 3602i access points for the HQ and branch office. This can provide you with more than you want. You have the redundancy on the WLCs and you have AP's that is modular that can allow for 802.11ac in the future. If all your users are in Active Directory, then you should also look at using a radius server. Microsoft NPS, Cisco's ACS or even Cisco's ISE.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to what Scott has posted, also look at the 3850 switches.

This model has a built-in WLC but it is not designed to replace the 5508.  Instead, the 3850 will augment the 5508 and will benefit you when you plan to implement FlexConnect.

thank you for your answer. I have one more question:

1. At head office, I have 20 AP and at each branches I have 5 AP, if I put WLC at HO, all AP at branches is managed by WLC through WAN, if the WAn link down, All AP at branches is die?

2. if i want at branches that creates keys for guest? How can I create the keys? We create the key at WLC or at ACS? Each branch, we will invest one WLC to manage the AP at branches? That is right?

Best regards,

Duy Khang

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1. At head office, I have 20 AP and at each branches I have 5 AP, if I put WLC at HO, all AP at branches is managed by WLC through WAN, if the WAn link down, All AP at branches is die?

Yes and no.  If you run what is called as FlexConnect, you will like to have local authentication.  So when your WAN links go down, the APs are able to operate independently and can still accept clients.  But if you don't have any local authentication then APs won't be able to accept local authentication.

Another thing, as long as you don't boot the AP when the WAN links are down, the APs can still work.

2. if i want at branches that creates keys for guest? How can I create the keys?

You can enable Lobby Administrator.  You can create temporary access to your guest.

Local authentication mean AD, ACS or WLC?

If each branches, we put WLC, I should use WLC 5500 or Flex connect controller?

Thanks,

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad Apption

If each branches, we put WLC, I should use WLC 5500

Catalyst 3850.  It's a Switch with a WLC (up to 50 APs) can be supported.

Local authentication mean AD, ACS or WLC?

Local user authentication such as AD, RADIUS, etc.

Another question about wireless solution.

If I don't use WLC at HO, I can use the cisco prime to replace WLC? Cisco Prime can manage and configure the AP or only monitor and report?

No.... Prime does not replace a WLC. Prime is a management tool.

-Scott

Here is a link about Prime

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12239/index.html

-Scott

about cisco wireless solution, I can create the key for guest at WLC?

I don"t have about pthe knowledge about cisco solution.

If you have documents about the cisco wireless solution for HO and many branches, please send me the link to download.

Thanks

Another case:

I use Wireless Controller at HO and use Access Point at branches.

Now, I want IT at Branches that can create key for guest at Branches. IT at branches will log in to web portal of Wireless Controller and generate key. I can configure that IT at branches only have ability to log in to web portal and create key for Branches and don't have ability to change the configure at Wireless Controller?

How can I do that?

Thank for your support.

Best regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card