Views
Helpful
Replies

questions about WLC 5508 controller licensing

M Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I would like to ask for your advice on a licensing issue for Cisco WLC 5508 (AIR-CT5508-50-K9 )  controller we currently use. 

Initially, in 2013 we bought the controller with 50 AP license. With it we had Cisco SmartNet warranty CON-SNT-CT0850. 

Then last year we purchased extra 25 AP capacity adder license (L-LIC-CT5508-25A) plus its SmartNet warranty: CON-SNT-LCT25A. Our vendor told us that SmartNet warranty must be purchased with capacity adder license. I wonder why SmartNet warranty is required for something that is not an actual hardware. Is it really in accordance with Cisco licensing policy?  

Second question: 

We have decided to purchase secondary WLC 5508 controller and  will set it up as HA hot standby backup device so that in case the primary controller fails the secondary should take over automatically.  In this scenario, do we need to buy exact same AIR-CT5508-50-K9 plus L-LIC-CT5508-25A with associated SmartNet warranties?

Would you please kindly advice?

Thank you so much in advance,

Looking forward for your reply, 

1 Reply 1

Milos Megis
Level 3
Level 3

If you switch WLC into HA mode then you will have number of licenses the same as maximum supported count of AP on WLC.

You don´t need to buy another license.

But then WLC can act only as backup device and if primary controller fail, then AP can be connected on HA device for maximum 90 days.

I am not 100% sure so please correct me someone if I am wrong.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card