cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended Code Version - Cisco 8510

skywalker123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello we are debating on what version of code we would like to upgrade too. Currently we are running 8.3.133.0 and debating on moving to 8.3.141 or 8.5.120. Does anyone know the major differences between the two versions? 

I know running the latest code is never a good idea so im am leaning towards 8.3.141.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

In a few days 8.2 MR7 and 8.5 MR3 will be posted on CCO. This will be the last maintenance release for the 8.2 train, for 8.5 the next MR is planned for later this summer. Cisco is putting a lot of effort in the 8.5 train so it can get the stable/MD label somewhere later this year.

Regarding your deployment; the "best fit" heavily depends on the hardware and configuration within your infrastructure. I highly recommend you to bookmark this page, read the release notes, keep an eye on the support forums and perform a "bug scrub" once you have selected a release. Be aware that the release you are referring to (8.3 MR4) will also be "reposted" in a few days with a specific regulatory domain bug fixed, so I would at least wait for that one if you decide to stick with 8.3. Good luck!

Please rate useful posts... :-)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

In a few days 8.2 MR7 and 8.5 MR3 will be posted on CCO. This will be the last maintenance release for the 8.2 train, for 8.5 the next MR is planned for later this summer. Cisco is putting a lot of effort in the 8.5 train so it can get the stable/MD label somewhere later this year.

Regarding your deployment; the "best fit" heavily depends on the hardware and configuration within your infrastructure. I highly recommend you to bookmark this page, read the release notes, keep an eye on the support forums and perform a "bug scrub" once you have selected a release. Be aware that the release you are referring to (8.3 MR4) will also be "reposted" in a few days with a specific regulatory domain bug fixed, so I would at least wait for that one if you decide to stick with 8.3. Good luck!

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Great thank you! This is very helpful.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If nothing is broken then I would say don’t upgrade. Upgrade depends on your equipment and setup to be honest. One code might not work well for a certain design or AP model for example but works great on others. Review the release notes and make a decision is what I would say if you still plan on upgrading. Newer trains are for new AP/WLC support.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: