cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RTS/CTS and Fragmentation Thresholds

ccie
Level 1
Level 1

Why does the CB21AG card not support these settings like the 350 and CB20A cards do? These settings are VERY important in my environment.

9 Replies 9

jcosgrove
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get a response of find the answer to this? I am in the same boat. Lots of hidden nodes and lots of AP's on the same channel. I am wondering if Cisco is getting out of the client card market.

Cisco never answered (not like I really expected them to). The answer to the question is that Cisco rebrands Atheros cards, and the Atheros reference drivers and client utilities don't have this functionality.

visit http://www.cwnp.com/phpBB2/index.php for quicker replies to technical topical by much more experienced people.

I just got my first response from TAC on this. I asked how do I set the fragmentation and RTS threshold on the cb21ag card. The response was that I set these on the AP and I should not adjust these because they are set to optimum. I asked for the case to be escalated to someone who actually knows what and why I need to set these.

I feel like I am dealing in the "Black Arts" when asking questions about building large scale 802.11 wireless networks and dealing with these issues.

There are very few people at Cisco that know anything about 802.11 - trust me.

You are sadly mistaken. You just aren't talking to the right people.

You should also be honest about your agenda. Are you the Devin Akin, CTO of Planet3?

That post was a year ago, and at that point, my statement was spot on. Today, I would definitely say that more Cisco engineers are up-to-speed on 802.11 1) than ever before, and 2) as much or more than any of their competitors. That's a long way to come in 1 year, so my congratulations.

I work a lot of wireless and I have to agree. There was a time back when I posted this message that it was like a mystery if you called and wanted to discuss anything beyond a basic AP configuration and forget about RF issues. Now things are starting to get better.

I'm not near my laptop, so I can't verify this, but I believe that if you bring up the "Network Connections" |

There are a number of properties you can set (like powersave modes, long or sort preambles, etc).

Perhaps the frag threshold and CTS/RTS time settings are available there.

FWIW

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card