Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up additional Cisco 1142 AP

FluidEquipment
Level 1
Level 1

Hello-

I recently purchased another 1142 AP to expand out our current wireless infrastructure, my question is, what exactly needs to be done for this to work so that users can roam freely and auto-connect to the closet AP with the best connection without getting disconnected?

I have set all the settings the exact same on the new AP to match the existing AP. (If anyone can explain how to save the configs into a file would be great, I am not sure how to do that)... But anyhow, before I launch it, I would like to be sure I am correct so I do not bring down the existing network. Of course, the only difference between the 2 are the IP addresses. AP1 is 192.168.2.2 and AP2 is 192.168.2.3

All computers are using Linksys Wireless-N cards.

Thank you for your help,

Steve

2 Replies 2

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please use WPA2 PSK or WPA2 enterprise as the authentication and encryption as AES on all the APs mapped to same SSID... Taking the sigmal overlap of 20% between the AP.. will help u in getting the issue resolved or solving ur purpose!!

Lemme know if this helps and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi-

Does the security have to be set to those settings for it to work, or is that just a suggestion?

These are my current settings below,

Encryption: Ciphers TKIP

Authentication: Open

Key Management: WPA

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card