Views
Helpful
Replies

Single SSID in Multiple locations.

arun.mohan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There is problem in Cisco unified wireless deployment in my scenario. There a multiple locations in the environment and hence we had to implement separate WLC solutions for each location. In the same we implemented different unique SSID in each location and the setting has been pushed via a GPO to users respestively for their location SSID. Now if the users move between office, we are having issues as each user has setting for his location only.

So we have planned to implement single SSID for all locations. Is this a good solution? Do we have any other solution for this issue?

merci,

arun

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is your best solution in my opinion. Having a single SSID for your users better than separate SSIDs per location.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

In what other way can solve this problem?

Well I don't really understand:). If you create a new SSID that is used globally and push that out via GPO and then set that as priority. All you need to do is web all devices have the new SSID, you delete the other SSIDs and then push out a GPO that has the old SSID removed.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Now the solution i have in Mind is to create the same SSID in each location WLC and set the production wlan setting for it.

Then remove all other SSID setting from user laptops and push this new SSID setting to them. Now I need to know is there any other solution for the problem i mentioned in my first post, other than single SSID in all locations?

You don want to remove the SSID until you know for sure that all devices have received the new SSID via GPO or else users will not be able to connect. I typically leave the old SSID on for a week or so depending if users are out of the office.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Yes Scott, i understand i'll not delete the Old SSIDs untill all users report the new one to ne working fine.

"Is there any other solution for the different SSID in different locations and mobile users having issue on the SSID setting"

ANY OTHER SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM.

like, push all the SSID setting to all users so even if the go to other offices they'll be able to connect to the WLAN there, etc., ?

You have pretty much two choices (as I think has already been mentioned):

1) unify your SSID setup for all your locations - we have 25+ locations, and 2 campuses that are using the same SSID for the sake of standard configurations & laptop images.

2) You would have to create a wireless profile valid for each of the sites people might travel to for a meeting or to work.  If this is only two or three then you might be tempted.  But the more you have the more work to maintain it and logins might actually take longer while devices are attempting to contact each potentially available SSID.  Some devices assign priority orders to the profiles that are created and they may need to be tried in order.

A single SSID has worked well for us for the past 8-10 years or so.  No drawbacks I can really think of right now.

I suppose if you also want to look forward to how your network will grow and scale, you may find yourself in our shoes someday.  We are now starting to toy with wireless VoIP and that, due to it's QoS needs, uses a different SSID than the standard laptop SSID.  Then you may provide Guest wireless access and potentially even more custom wireless SSID's (we hate it but it happens).  If you go with unique SSID's for all of these devices you are making it much more cumbersome to manage your wireless environment in my opinion.  It can also detract from the transparent nature of network connectivity we tend to aim for and can make the mobility of devices more challenging.

In the end it usually comes down to the corporate wants and desires because they are usually footing the bill.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: