cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site Survey Hardware - Looking for Recommendations/Opinions

aaroncoffman
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking into purchasing a new device for wireless site surveys and I'd like to hear some recommendations or opinions on what device we should look at.

Currently we're using a Panasonic Toughbook with AirMagnet and a C1060 PCIMCIA card and we intend on sticking with the software.

Survey Scenario:

Different clients utilizing a range of devices from iOS and Android devices to PCs to 792x Cisco phones (could be anything wireless). The device will be used to preform pre-install and post-install surveys.

Requirements:

What we'd like is something mobile (obviously), preferably light weight, great battery life is a must, durable and could last a couple years.

The following looked interesting at first glance... however may be out of our price range. 

http://www.motioncomputing.com/products/tablet_pc_f5.asp

Just to throw a wrench in the mix... Has anyone played with AirMagnet AirMapper yet?

http://www.flukenetworks.com/enterprise-network/wireless-network/AirMagnet-AirMapper

My apologies if this isn't appropriate to post here.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

10 Replies 10

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Aaron,

I used a motion tablet, not a bad option. I prefer a laptop myself. As for the NICs get use to USBs, as almost all new laptops dont have PCMCIA. I used the Proxim USB nic and works great.

I made my own mobile survey kit.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

Don't you think that we should use very simple USB adapter or at the best to use a laptop model that our client will use in this wireless network deployment?

I ask this because, if we use better USB adapter like Proxim, we will get the better Wi-Fi site-survey results. That's because this adapter has greater sensitivity, capabilities and so on...

Also, maybe you guys know any USB adapters, where we can change our Tx Power level in miliwatts? This would be very useful for the site-survey ( to use the same power level as our AP uses ).

Could you share also your recommendations about wifi Site-Survey software? You are using Ekahau , yes?

And show us your site-survey kit! That's very interesting to see!

Thank you for your time guys!

Hi Evaldas,

You're on target with your comment. The real challenge is how do you cover all your bases. You need to standardized on something which allows for consistency for you when you do your survey. While also providing as accurate results as possible.

Myself. I typically will use the Prox USB. I then bring along with me the lowest common device that will be used and check the delta between my Prox and the device.

Here .. I blog a little bit about

http://www.my80211.com/site-survey/2010/2/13/site-survey-hint-attach-your-wifi-phone-to-your-survey-pc-vo.html

This way I can feel good that I have coverage for my lowest device while also getting consistency on a survey. But always design for the lowest.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Thanks very much George! Your blog is awesome! It's very nice to get this advantageous information from your own experience!

Wi-Fi will grow bigger and bigger... People will understand one day, how important it is to plan your network as it should be planned. Nowadays, a lot of IT managers thinks, that the site-survey is a simple task... Just to walk with your laptop, or put AP's anywhere...

By the way, any doubts about USB adapter with custom Tx power level option?

I have integrated Wi-Fi card in this laptop. We can configure Tx power levels like this :

• Lowest power
  • Low power
  • Medium power
  • High power
  • Highest power

Thanks for the comments on the blog :)

What survey software do you use ? Airmagnet allows you to change the tx.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Not Ekahau, and not AirMagnet. They are very expensive.

We have just VisiWave with Chanalyzer pro.

Can't really comment as I've used those in the past but its been a long while but I standardized on Airmagnet.

Am installs its own driver for the nics it supports. It allows for added driver flexibility like tx variables ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

That's cool! VisiWave does everything just on windows based drivers. Doesn't install anything.

tmarques87
Level 1
Level 1

ekahau site survey is cool, but very expensive.

i use ekahau site survey, because i have a system RFID (location clients) ... and ekahau site survey help me to project the rfid solution.

http://www.ekahau.com/products/ekahau-site-survey/overview.html

art-barrera
Level 1
Level 1

Tried them all over a number of surveys.  Sometimes comparing both outputs over the same survey opportunity.  I've standardized on AirMagnet using Proxim USB wireless adapters in conjunction with Spectrum XT USB adapter.  This is based on reliability, consistency and frankly...success.  In the end, after you initiate a wireless engagement and you make your recommendation eye to eye to your customer, you don't flinch with the confidence of an industry standard.  This happens over and over again and you build confidence and trust the data.  You get what you pay for in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.  //art

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card