Helpful
Replies

Site Survey with ap3500i

Verschoor65
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I have a question about sitesurveying with ap3500's

I'm going to deploy a wireless network in a new building, i have a company that normaly does my site surveys.

I normally provide them with some AP's configured with a designated ssid and local power modes set to 50%, however this does not seem possible with the new 3500i's i'm willing to use, for there is no IOS image available for it.

I dont have any network connectivity yet in this new building, so i cannot f.i place them in a separate ap-group and assign a dedicated wlan to them.

Can Anybody think of a viable solution (ASAP) Thanx in advance

Frans verschoor

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some people managed to obtain an IOS image for it.

I think the 1260 IOS image works for the 3500 as well (although not supported for everyday use, it's perfect for a site survey). Try the 1140 image otherwise.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some people managed to obtain an IOS image for it.

I think the 1260 IOS image works for the 3500 as well (although not supported for everyday use, it's perfect for a site survey). Try the 1140 image otherwise.

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

We use 1140s for site surveys in our 3502i deployments.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Not recommended.

Recommended practice is to always do a site survey with the AP that you are going to deploy, but in this scenario that is not possible.  Why do you not recommend using a 1140 for a 3500 deployment?  There is no difference between the two APs except for the extra chip pset in a 3502 for Clean Air.  They have the same signal propagation and power.  Please educate me.

leolaohoo wrote:

Not recommended.

I have the same questions as Thomas. In the thread below I tried to find out any differences between these APs but the consensus was that ClearAir was the only notable difference. The only way the 1140 would be not recommended for a passive survey is if there is differences in the antenna pattern, and active survey if there's a difference in chipset or hardware. So what are the differences?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3398804#3398804

There is no difference.

The 1260 is really a 3500e without cleanair chipset.

The 1140 is like a 3500i without cleanair chipset but I think the 1140 has a slightly different radio chipset too but nothing that will create a difference that you will perceive.

Verschoor65
Level 1
Level 1

Thanx a bunch,

I  have yet to try the 1260 image, but have provided some 1140's for now.

site survey is friday so i might be able to get them some 1260 imaged 3500s.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card