Views
Helpful
Replies

slow service on AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9

Rita G.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I’m using a AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9 access point.

Getting over 300 mbs on wired (ethernet) computers, but any device (phone or laptop) on wifi will get less than 100 mbs.

Is there any way to speed up service on wifi devices?

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The 3502 is an 802.11n access point. WiFi is a half duplex medium, meaning, your throughput is half what your device is showing as of speed. The only way you will achieve getting over 100mbps is to utilize the 5ghz only and making sure your 5ghz radio is using 40mhz channel width. Also with 802.11n, you need to make sure the SSID’s are open or using WPA2-AES. The old TKIP is not supported and you will only negotiate at 802.11bga speeds.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15-3-3/configuration/guide/cg15-3-3/cg15-3-3-chap6-radio.html#15202

Keep in mind, wired will always be faster than wired.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you Scott,

I think I will leave it alone for now; kinda busy at the moment, but I have 2 more questions . .

1.) I want to order another one (they’re very inexpensive right now) for the garage. Will it be a problem to make it a repeater?

2.) If it comes as ‘lightweight’, will I be able to make it “autonomous”?

So-called "repeaters" and "extenders" are HALF the bandwidth of an AP. So if you're complaining about slow service then the "repeater" will be twice as slow.

I think it’s time to look at another solution. If you don’t want to spend the money for newer equipment, then your better off going with Google WiFi, Orbi or another indoor mesh vendor product. That will give you better performance than these old AP’s. I personally would not invest money into these AP’s. Like Leo mentioned, don’t try to use a repeater as that will provide horrible unstable experience.
-Scott

Thank you both for replies.

Right now I'm only interested in ‘acceptable’ coverage for the back yard to watch streaming video on my laptop. I presently have the AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9 in the house, and a WN3000RP repeater in the garage. This arrangement is acceptable . .

but wondering if another AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9 ($9 on ebay) as a repeater would provide better coverage/reception than the WN300RP for the back yard.

I’m just looking for a cheap improvement for the yard.

To provide more coverage, means additional access points. Access points are regulated by the regulatory body in regard to channel and power. If you want to bypass that, then you need a custom image and possibly look into DD WRT ap/repeater. So you can buy the ap off eBay and place it somewhere else to get you coverage, but it should be an add on to your existing.
-Scott

Thank you Scott,

but I really don’t understand your last post, so my next question is,

Can I use another AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9 as a repeater to replace the WN3000RP?

Sure you can replace it, I just don’t think you will get better coverage.
-Scott

Thank you Scott . . 

ok, so i will order one ($8.99 + free shipping) and  . . .

can you link me to any instructions/tutorials on how to make it a 'repeater' please?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card