cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smartnet for WLC-5508 adder license? Is it necessary?

What are the consequences of NOT adding smartnet to the 5508 Adder licenses?  I get this question all the time from customers. 

10 Replies 10

kasper123
Level 4
Level 4

Can someone clarify this?

Regards.

The self-same question has popped up at our place today. What does SMARTnet'ing the ADDER license actually give you? If the base appliance is under SMARTnet, do Cisco expect you to SMARTnet the additional licenses as well?

Hi,

Did you get answer on this?

Michael

We're a premier partner and no one from Cisco could answer this for us - it really is poor from Cisco.

In the end, we decided to put the software assurance version of SMARTnet on the adder portion and leave the base hardware (which includes the initial license) on whatever SMARTnet is req'd.

michaelzhq
Level 2
Level 2

Can anybody clarify this? We have urgent purchase requests.

michaelzhq
Level 2
Level 2

Did you get this clarified? Thanks.

They sell SmartNet for licenses to allow you to be able to download code.... but you already get that from smartnet on your WLC's.  Is it required... no, but this is how they want to sell it:)

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

I belive this can be your best answer

"Cisco SMARTnet Service facilitates rapid resolution of critical network issues and improves operational efficiency through a combination of expert technical support; flexible hardware coverage; and smart, personalized capabilities."

If you have SmartNet on the WLC, then you don't need SmartNet on your adder license. You will need SmartNet on your adder license if you have to RMA the WLC and need to rehost the license.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hey Scott,

lets imagine that I have a virtual case.

1. I buy 100 adder licenses without the adder license Smartnet since I have Smartnet for my WLC

2. I need to RMA my WLC -> I get a new one

3. Since they are "right-to-use" licenses I increase the license counter on my WLC to 100.

Why do I need the Smartnet for the adder Licenses?

Its not really clear at this point. Is this procedure not allowed? Because that is how I would do this if I wouldn't have found this thread.

Thanks in advance,

Veit

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card