Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp trap treceivers and community settings

marce1000
VIP
VIP

2504 wl-controller (8.2.151.0)

I am a bit confused about specifying snmp trap receivers and their community; in the main menu you can specify what is called a 'SNMP Trap Receiver Name' which wnen configured and pressed on afterwards  the specified name is listed as Community Name; all good but if this corresponds to the snmp trap community for the corresponding receiver the problem arises when I want to configure 2 different servers with the same snmp trap community (public). Because when configuring a secondary trap receiver with the same 'SNMP Trap Receiver Name' it complains that the name already exists. If both are equivalent (..Name versus trap community); then how can I configure 2 different trap receivers with the same snmp trap community (public) ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
6 Replies 6

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The trap receiver name is the hostname or IP address (or any other alias) of the host receiving the traps.

I suggest to configure it through the GUI, that's easier.

>The trap receiver name is the hostname or IP address (or any other alias) of the host receiving the traps.

Ok. in between from https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11899896/can-wlc-have-multiple-snmp-trap-receivers-same-cummunity-string I found :

Also you can configure SNMP trap receiver where WLC can send its snmp trap messages.  Community Name means SNMP trap receiver name & that does not have any significance like snmp community value."

If that is true; it means you can't set a none-standard snmp trap community on the wl-controller  (?)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I'm not sure about how the traps actually do look like, but for SNMP queries to the WLC you can set various SNMP V1/2 communities with read and or write permissions.

SNMP V3 is also possible for queries.

But I think the traps are sent from the WLC without any community string.

Are you maybe confusing traps with queries?

- I wasn't dealing with queries (traps only); so as I now understand it confusement comes from the fact that the so called 'community name' is only being used as the 'trap receiver name' and does not relate to a snmp trap community; so wether the traps are sent without any community string or public remains to be tested; what matters to me is that you can't set a  snmp trap community string (indeed). 

M.

I know this an old thread, but I have the same dilemma.

How can I send traps to 2 different servers using the same SNMP Trap Receiver Name (community)

Does the SNMP Trap Receiver Name (community) even matter the receiving end?

Under Management - SNMP - Trap Receivers you can add several receiving servers.
This option exists under WLC 8.5.151.0, no sure about older versions.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card