Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp trap treceivers and community settings

marce1000
VIP
VIP

2504 wl-controller (8.2.151.0)

I am a bit confused about specifying snmp trap receivers and their community; in the main menu you can specify what is called a 'SNMP Trap Receiver Name' which wnen configured and pressed on afterwards  the specified name is listed as Community Name; all good but if this corresponds to the snmp trap community for the corresponding receiver the problem arises when I want to configure 2 different servers with the same snmp trap community (public). Because when configuring a secondary trap receiver with the same 'SNMP Trap Receiver Name' it complains that the name already exists. If both are equivalent (..Name versus trap community); then how can I configure 2 different trap receivers with the same snmp trap community (public) ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
6 Replies 6

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The trap receiver name is the hostname or IP address (or any other alias) of the host receiving the traps.

I suggest to configure it through the GUI, that's easier.

>The trap receiver name is the hostname or IP address (or any other alias) of the host receiving the traps.

Ok. in between from https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11899896/can-wlc-have-multiple-snmp-trap-receivers-same-cummunity-string I found :

Also you can configure SNMP trap receiver where WLC can send its snmp trap messages.  Community Name means SNMP trap receiver name & that does not have any significance like snmp community value."

If that is true; it means you can't set a none-standard snmp trap community on the wl-controller  (?)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I'm not sure about how the traps actually do look like, but for SNMP queries to the WLC you can set various SNMP V1/2 communities with read and or write permissions.

SNMP V3 is also possible for queries.

But I think the traps are sent from the WLC without any community string.

Are you maybe confusing traps with queries?

- I wasn't dealing with queries (traps only); so as I now understand it confusement comes from the fact that the so called 'community name' is only being used as the 'trap receiver name' and does not relate to a snmp trap community; so wether the traps are sent without any community string or public remains to be tested; what matters to me is that you can't set a  snmp trap community string (indeed). 

M.

I know this an old thread, but I have the same dilemma.

How can I send traps to 2 different servers using the same SNMP Trap Receiver Name (community)

Does the SNMP Trap Receiver Name (community) even matter the receiving end?

Under Management - SNMP - Trap Receivers you can add several receiving servers.
This option exists under WLC 8.5.151.0, no sure about older versions.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: