Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSID Tx POWER question

Hi, we have a WLC 5508 with software 7.4.110.0 with APs 3602i and 1252. I have configured 5 SSIDs.

I have measured the Tx power of all SSIDs and I noticed that all the RSSI are different in the same AP.

why is this happening???

For example:

Captura.PNG

8 Replies 8

Ali Aqrabawi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the TX power for all SSID are the same , if we measuring the RSSI on the same band for example b/g,

does this records changes with each refresh ? does the best SSID RSSI changes or the order is static ? i mean if westud sometimes can be -43 and wintranet -52 ?

Yes this records changes with each refresh, as you can see all the SSID are in the same channel of 2.4GHz.

why the RSSI are different in the same AP???

does "wintranet" alway has the best RSSI ?

No, all the SSIDs change the RSSI in refresh. Any SSID can be the best in a moment.

so the AP is not giving an different RSSI for each SSID ,

this is a wireless medium , and the prob frames signals can be a little different at each moment .

We understand but we need know why the RSSI are different (for each SSID) on the same AP

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Every software tool is going to show you different signals for a given SSID on the same ap and same radio. The software used the wireless card and scans every x ms so if course this will vary. Signal will always change and even if you have two or 3 devices with the same tool, each will read differently. This is how it is.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Ulises,

As mentioned by Scott it varies as you can see in the below screenshot.

am using 4 different ssid's and u can see there is a deviation in the Tx power.

Test.png

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: