Views
Helpful
Replies

Static mac entry of silent clients in LWAPP 3602e bridge

bbandersen
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

I have a challenge with silent clients behind a 3602e bridge.

I have today autonoumous WGBs connecting to RAPs where I have a static bridge entry of the silent clients MAC so what ever happens with the WGB or controller the MAC always gets to the controller and I can get to the silent clients IP.

However the customer is changing the Autonoumous WGB to 3602e LWAPPs and so the challenge begins again to get the 3602e to tell the controller about the silent clients MAC no matter what happens.

So I am looking for a way to get the same functionality on the 3602e as the autonoumous AP. I cant seem to find a way to acheive this.

Has anyone tried something similar?

Thanks

~Bo

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried or have passive client enabled on the WLAN?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I'm guessing that you would have passive client already enabled if your using WGB's with these devices already on.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01100011.html

-Scott

Passive clients is enabled.

The whole issue is that if the AP that has the wired client doesnt tell the controller about the MAC then you cant reach it. And the AP does this when it knows the MAC address of the Client.  Normally this is acheived by the client talking to a server or the like but with the client initiating the communication, which is why I use static MAC entry on the WGB since the client doesnt say anything.

Static arp entries is another workaround. I don't have any silent clients that I can test with. I don't think other than passive client that there is anything else you can change on the WLC. Maybe TAC or someone else has an answer. Have you contacted the vendor of the silent client and asked for suggestions?

-Scott

The vendor of the client say that its not suppose to initiate any communication so there is no help from them.

So I am left with 2 options unless I can make a static mac/arp entry on the LWAPP AP.

1. Convert the 3602e to autonomous WGB

Really dont want to.

2. Make a DHCP reservation and limit lease time to 8 min

That way the client will always within 4 min talk to the LWAPP AP/WLC for IP renewal, though I am not even sure      the client support DHCP and will require me to redesign the entire IP plan/network to avoid normal clients renewning      their lease all the time.

Really could use a good idea for a workaround no matter how static it would be....

Well even if you make the reservation on DHCP to a lower time limit, if the client does have an IP, will the device still try to communicate. There is going to be a lot of testing to get something to work.

-Scott

Did you ever come up with a solution for this?  I'm running into a similar problem and haven't come up with anything that helps so far.

Hi Terry,

The solution to this was to change the clients to DHCP and reserve the IPs in the DHCP server and set the lease on the scopes for these clients to 5 min.

We tested and the amount of traffic that was generated by the renewal requests wasn´t so bad as we first thought it would be.

Hope this helps you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card