Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange 5 Gh hopping behavior

a.giorgi
Level 1
Level 1

Today in the office I saw an strange behaviour with the 5.0 Ghz antenna

I was monitoring the antena with inssider because suddenly this morning interrupted my wifi connection (only 5 GH antena was affected, 2,4 client didn't suffer the interruption)

Suddenly the pattern of the antena changed from use only one channel (40) to use two channels (40+44) intermitently

After a minute or two the pattern went another time to used only one channel

I know 802,11n can use two channels to increase the transmition capacity

I think probably the AP began to transmit using 2 consecutive channels to transmit something heavy, and then come back to the normal state

Anybody have another theory to this behaviour?

It is recommendend to set up the 2 channel use in auto mode?

Had anybody a similar exerience?
Coud be this behaviour be related with the previous one? (connection loss)

I don't have more information to give you, I know this is an incomplete scenario, but I'm looking to know if this is a really common behaviour
Someone reccomend to set up 802,11n to use only one channel instead two?
Thanks

Al

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well here is what I have learned... If you have the intel 6200 wireless adapter you need to run a driver version of 15.x or newer or else you will run into issues with 40mhz channels. Other than that, change your DCA to 12 or 24 hours instead of the default 10 minutes.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Whilst in the DCA, change the sensitivity to "HIGH".  This will minimize the chances of the radios changing channel during office hours.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card