cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 to autonomous, AP resets while upgrading!

I have a problem that I have definitely not had in the past, and I think it might be to the hardware shipping with newer firmware.  I have a few access points that I am trying to convert to autonomous firmware.  I am getting halfway through the download and extraction process before the AP decides to release the IP address and try to find controllers again!  Then my upgrade fails.

Does anyone know the secret to make the access point STOP trying to find controllers long enough that I can upgrade it? 

This is model: AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9

Firmware is: c1140-rcvk9w8-mx

Trying to go to firmware: c1140-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB.tar

I am running this:

archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://10.10.10.9/c1140-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA.tar

And it does this to me, right in the middle of the upgrade:

Not in Bound state.

*Mar  1 00:02:57.091: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC using DHCP IP. Renewing DHCP IP..

*Mar  1 00:03:00.220: %DHCP-6-ADDRESS_ASSIGN: Interface BVI1 assigned DHCP address 10.0.46.239, mask 255.255.252.0, hostname AP6c41.6aca.8bd4

Translating "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.Kch.local"...domain server (10.0.47.253)

. [timed out]

Premature end of tar file

ERROR: Problem extracting files from archive.

Download image failed, notify controller!!! From:7.4.1.37 to 7.4.1.37, FailureCode:3

archive download: takes 50 seconds

7 Replies 7

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have couple of options:

- convert the APs from the controller's CLI:

config ap tftp-downgrade

- put APs on a network not reachable to the WLC/DHCP.

- blacklist APs mac address on DHCP.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

I would rather not upgrade each and every one of these .... just so that it will stop trying to reach a controller.  But that may be my only option.

If anyone knows of a way to kill that looping process, please chime in!

Try this: debug capwap cli no-reload

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the heads up Scott.  Unfortunately, that did not work.  It seems to ignore the no-reload, and it just tells me that the client debugging is enabled.  When I do a 'debug capwap client ?' I do not see a no-reload option there.  Might that be something only found in newer/older capwap firmware?

it might ne a hidden command, so just type it and see.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

While your upgrade process is happening LAP is trying to find a WLC to join, to avoid that you can configure a default-gateway to your LAP (pointing to your PC if it is the TFTP server), in that case upgrade should happen without any failures. By erase nvram you can forced LAP to forget all previously learnt WLCs.

This is what I would do

LAP#debug capwap console cli

LAP#erase /all nvram:

LAP#reload

LAP#capwap ap ip address 10.10.10.102 255.255.255.0

LAP#capwap ap ip default-gateway 10.10.10.1 (your PC IP address)

Then you can run archive download command as you already did

Let us know how this goes...I am pretty sure this should work.

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

Thanks for this tips. It works like a charm !

Kind regards,

Joël

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card