Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic engineering in Wireless

Hi,

I have got a requirement to deploy traffic engineering for the guest wireless.

Conditions are

1.  bandwidth should be controlled based on venue/site, user & access-point level.

2. Some users need to have limited time access. Some should have unlimited access.

3. User should be able to extend their time if the timeout about to occur.

4. There should be a portal to allow/restrict the bandwidth.

I just checked all products. nothing seems to be supporting all features..Is there anything you can think of?

Appreciate your help. 

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  bandwidth should be controlled based on venue/site, user & access-point level.

This is not a wireless issue.  This can be done using CoS and policy map to map the amount of bandwidth the guest SSID can use.  

2. Some users need to have limited time access. Some should have unlimited access.

Not a wireless issue.  MS Active Directory can do this. 

Uh, this is dumb.  Users can manage to restrict their time?  He he he ... FUNNY.

You're killing me, mate.  This is too funny!  Who came up with this idea?

requirement to deploy traffic engineering for the guest wireless.

The words "traffic engineering" makes it sound so "glamorous" when this is just a plain old, basic wireless design study.  

This is not a wireless issue.  This can be done using CoS and policy map to map the amount of bandwidth the guest SSID can use.  

Some management softwares like Clearpass can monitor the bandwidth at user level. I just want to understand whether we can do it using cisco technologies.

Not a wireless issue.  MS Active Directory can do this. 

Is there any management systems like Cisco Prime/ISE can do this?

Uh, this is dumb.  Users can manage to restrict their time?  He he he ... FUNNY.

It was typo. Should be Admins

You're killing me, mate.  This is too funny!  Who came up with this idea?

Its a typical requirement where some sites need more bandwidth & some or not.    requirement to deploy traffic engineering for the guest wireless.

Is there any management systems like Cisco Prime/ISE can do this?

The design requirement does not make any logical sense.  So there are some GUEST users who have unlimited access and some GUEST who have limited time access?  Who makes that decision that Guest 12345 has unlimited access and Guest 54321 has only 30 minutes?  How to police that Guest 12345 didn't share the password to someone else?  

Sys Admin?  Someone is going to hire a Sys Admin to make this decision?  Again, the design defies real-world scenario.  

It was typo. Should be Admins

Same question above, someone hires an "admin" to make low-level policy?  

Its a typical requirement where some sites need more bandwidth & some or not.

Look here, the entire design does NOT make any logical sense.  Take the requirement one by one and it'll work.  It can be done.  Put them all in one big package and this entire thing looks like a mutant.  

Design "work", even though someone likes to incorrectly call it as a "traffic engineering", isn't just say "yes sir" to the client.  It also takes common sense into account and, sometimes, the client needs to be told to get off their medication.  This is one case.  

I have a good idea what the client wants but it can't be done by using one big fat box or one big solution.  What you're asking needs several parts and some of them doesn't have the "Cisco" logo on it.  This isn't as simple as those requirement you've put in.  The client also needs to articulate clearly what they want and what they want to see.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card