cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

transfer image to wlc as backup image

Charlie Grey
Level 1
Level 1

is it possible to transfer a new software image to the wlc as backup image and not disturbing the primary boot image?

i need to do this so i can predownload the later new backup image software down to the AP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I've checked the manual again, you are right.
So what you can do, upload the "new" image the normal way (this will overwrite the old image in the backup partition), it will be set as Primary. You don't want that, so you can switch it afterwards to the backup partition with the command:
config boot backup
This will set the currently running image back to the boot image. Now you should be able to upgrade your APs with the command:
config ap image predownload backup (or primary)

To see which partition contains which image, enter:
show boot

Manual for WLC upgrade:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/68835-wlc-upgrade.html#anc7

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Yes, you can do it to reduce down time during WLC upgrade

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

thanks for the reply.

i am not trying to upgrade the controller.

i am trying to upload the image as backup image on the controller so that i can download the new backup image to AP via GUI.

my objective is during shutdown, i can just change the primary controller in AP HA tab and the AP can reboot and join the new controller w/o the need to download any software.

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Yes, but do it through CLI. There you can set it as a parameter. You could even add it as a new primary, then before rebooting, swap back to the "now" backup image.

can u show the command?
i check the transfer commands available in CLI.
it does not have the option to transfer image to WLC as backup image.

I've checked the manual again, you are right.
So what you can do, upload the "new" image the normal way (this will overwrite the old image in the backup partition), it will be set as Primary. You don't want that, so you can switch it afterwards to the backup partition with the command:
config boot backup
This will set the currently running image back to the boot image. Now you should be able to upgrade your APs with the command:
config ap image predownload backup (or primary)

To see which partition contains which image, enter:
show boot

Manual for WLC upgrade:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/68835-wlc-upgrade.html#anc7

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: