Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer (or rehost) licenses between controllers

Mikhail_0914
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Could someone tell me about the possibility of transferring (rehosting) APs licenses between controllers.

1. Is it possible to transfer licenses from WiSM2 to 5500, 8500 and 9800 controllers?

2. Can licenses be transferred between 5500, 8500, 9800 controllers?

Yes, I saw several similar questions here, but reading those topics did not help me completely figure it out. Understanding this would be very helpful to me. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
WiSM2 license cannot be transferred.
If the license is "adder" then it can be transferred to the same "generation", i. e. 5508 adder license can be transferred to WiSM2, 2504 or another 5508. Adder license cannot be transferred to different "generations" like 8540/5520 or 9800.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
WiSM2 license cannot be transferred.
If the license is "adder" then it can be transferred to the same "generation", i. e. 5508 adder license can be transferred to WiSM2, 2504 or another 5508. Adder license cannot be transferred to different "generations" like 8540/5520 or 9800.

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3

My personal experience with the Cisco licensing support team was that they won't let you rehost your license to a different model controller. In my scenario, I requested a WISM2 license to a 5508.

You can always try your luck and put a request through to licensing@cisco.com

As for migrating AireOS WLC's licenses to 9800's, the 9800 runs on DNA licensing so that will definitely not be possible.

<<< Pls remember to rate all useful responses >>>

@Jurgens L wrote:

In my scenario, I requested a WISM2 license to a 5508.

WiSM2 license always comes in 1K license.  The license is not an "adder" license therefore it can't be "re-hosted".

Only ADDER license can be transfered/re-hosted.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card