Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer Rate using Aironet Cisco AP 1852 & 2802

SeikkaRicardo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a case from my customer about transferring data from server and clients using Cisco AP 1852 and 2802. We need the transfer rate above 10MB/s. After we testing so many times using many methods (like change the data rates on configuration radio on our wireless controller 2504) the results never reach above 10MB/s. Please check the documents that contain the results in the attachments. What I want to ask is:

What is the bandwidth sharing mechanism for more than one client to transfer data?
Is there a best practice configure to maximize tuning throughput / speed of copying client data using Cisco access points?

Is there a datasheet for the maximum transfer rate of the Cisco access point 

What are the advantages of Cisco Access Points compared to other brands (such as Aruba, Allied Telesis, etc.)?

Sorry if I'm asking too much. I really need a descend answer also some advice about this case. Please help me.

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What is the exact make/model of the wireless NIC doing this transfer?
I suspect the wireless NIC is only capable of 1X1:1 and only 2.4 Ghz.

We have NIC that supports 5GHz too as you can see in the attachment but still, the data rate is on 10MB/s average.

You're not answering the question: What is the make & model of the wireless NIC that was having the complaint of "poor speed"?

What is the bandwidth sharing mechanism for more than one client to transfer data?

"wireless is half duplex" which is first thing you need to remember. That mean any wireless device cannot transmit & receive at the same time. That mean lot of waiting time by clients.

Wireless operation is based on CSMA/CA (Carrier Sense Multiple Access- Collision Avoidance). So whole idea is to avoid any possible collisions on wireless cell when AP & clients operates. Therefore, if you want to test best case scenario, you need to have a single client in a wireless cell & then you can test wireless performance with wired side iperf.

Also remember you need to have management & control traffic other than data traffic. More clients in the cell & more SSIDs in given AP, you will wast lot of valuable air time for control & management traffic. Therefore actual data throughput is much less than the data rates given standard support.

For example if you got 802.11n 3x3:3SS AP, then maximum capacity is 450Mbps, Due to half duplex nature you can get ~200Mpbs (less than 50%) with a single client operate in the cell. That also depend on client capability & assuming given client support 802.11n,40MHz, 3SS (check this site for client capabilities). When you add more clients that bandwidth is shared by all of them & increase of management & control frames further reduces client throughput.

In your scenario, you seen 10MB/s, which is 80Mpbs throughput, which is a better value than you think (don't compare what you get with wire) 

Is there a datasheet for the maximum transfer rate of the Cisco access point

Here is 2802 AP datasheet

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-2800-series-access-points/datasheet-c78-736497.html?cachemode=refresh

Below MCS index will show all possible data rates with 802.11n & 802.11ac

http://mcsindex.com/

Is there a best practice configure to maximize tuning throughput / speed of copying client data using Cisco access points?

To support above MCS data rates, WLAN has to configured with WPA2 (PSK or 802.1X), unless it is open SSID.

Also you will notice those MCS rates varies depend on three parameters  given below.

1. Channel width (20MHz, 40MHz , 80MHz)

2. Spatial Streams (depend on client hardware)

3. Guard Interval (Short or long)

Also having good RSSI/SNR will help to achieve higher modulations (greater than 25dB)

In summary, you notice best result can be achieved with 5 GHz, when channel bonding (40, 80MHz) depend on how many APs deployed in given area (more channel you bond, less number of APs you can have near by). When you adding more wireless clients throughput is decreasing.

2.4 GHz performance is well below 5.0GHz performance. This is normal behavior as you will see much interference in 2.4GHz, resulting clients to wait longer prior to get a opportunity to transmit.

Hope this gives some explanation what you experiencing.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
First of all, make sure to have the latest Intel Wireless drivers installed.

Then enable 40 or 80 MHz channels on 5 GHz, if the clients are close to the AP and you only use 1-2 APs. This would double/quadruple the theoretical transfer speed on 5 GHz.
You client A contains sadly only an Intel Wireless-N 7260 card, that means no 802.11ac for you (which would again nearly double the speed).
Client B has an 802.11ac adapter Qualcomm QCA9377, sadly only 1x1 (so it should gain some speed by going to 80 MHz).
Client C has Atheros AR956x, no idea about its specs.
Client D no idea.
Please note, your clients all had high cpu load while testing with AP2802, this will skew the results a lot!

For whatever reason, you have extremely high latency on the wireless, I suspect this is caused by drivers or strong interference/noise. Also upgrade your WLC to the latest 8.5.140.0 for some additional fixes.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card