Views
Helpful
Replies

Two 1815i at home

SonusFaber
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

having a two floors house, and since I was not happy with roaming using traditional consumer access points, I got two Cisco 1815i
Both arrived with the ME - Mobility Express pre-loaded.
I am new to Cisco, so, even reading all the docs I was able to find, some things are still to be investigated.

So, I put the first AP on the LAN and switched it on. After some minutes the AP was alive and I joined my laptop to the Cisco SSID, I logged in
I followed the wizard configuring username, password, IP address, 3 WLAN (home, office and guest), etc.
Everything was perfect.
Then I put on the LAN the second AP, powered it on and... after some minutes it appeared in the ME web page, together with the first one.
The first one is marked with the "P" letter (Primary) and it operates as "ap and controller"
The second one has no marks and operates as "AP only" but there is button "make me controller".
Both the AP are labeled "ME Capable"

There is also the possibility to convert AP to CAPWAP and from CAPWAP to ME

The question is:
is this configuration the right one? or do i need to convert one of the two AP to CAPWAP ?

Second question:
I was unhappy with TP-Link, Netgear, etc. because of the roaming, so I got these two Cisco capable on the paper to work with 802.11 k/v/r
Looking the manual of the Mobility Express
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-1/Enterprise-Mobility-8-1-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-1_Deployment_Guide/Chapter-11.html
figure 11.7 or 11.8, I can see settings that are not available on my web interfaces of my Mobility Express (I am running 8.5.140.0)
Why?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

your setup is correct means..both should be in ME mode.

One is working as master and other is working as backup(or next preferred master). In case of primary is down then backup will takeover and you can continure working.

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you can configure the second AP as a controller and make the first one a master, this will enable redundancy if the master AP fails you dont lose wireless on both.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-2/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide.html

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Not clear to me what you say.

Both the AP are ME, only one can be primary. If i click to make the second AP ad controller, then the first one is rolled back to AP only.

I am trying to understand if it is correct to have both the AP configured as ME (one primary and one slave) or it is correct to have one as ME and other converted to CAPWAP.

your setup is correct means..both should be in ME mode.

One is working as master and other is working as backup(or next preferred master). In case of primary is down then backup will takeover and you can continure working.

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card