cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to configure Aironet 1700 AP

MikePenzu
Level 1
Level 1

I have some Cisco Aironet 1700 APs (AIR-CAP1702i-E-K9) I'm trying to add to my LAN, however I'm unable to connect and configure them by every method I have tried.

I can see the APs connect to the main switch and are assigned an IP address via DHCP. However I'm unable to connect to them to configure them. They simply don't respond. I have tried:

1. Telnet, which responds with "Password required, but none set" and disconnects.

2. Browser-based (via the AP's local IP address on the network) — the page does not respond or load

3. Serial cable into the console port on AP — terminal window remains empty, no prompt, no response to any commands. I'm using the terminal settings described elsewhere on this forum: 

- 9600 baud
- 8 data bits 
- None parity
- 1 stop bit
- no flow control (if xon/xoff doesn't work)

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have factory reset the APs twice to make sure. I've tried two different terminal emulators with similar outcomes.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Your ap is probably a lightweight access point, which means you will not be able to telnet/ssh or http(s) until it has joined the controller. Many folks have had the same issue with other access points, I suggest trying a different console cable, even if yours works on a switch. I use a few like these: https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Console-FTDI-RJ45-Windows/dp/B07BK6P67K/ref=sr_1_4?crid=8120UX7T89C3&dchild=1&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+rj45&qid=1601049132&sprefix=usb+to+rj45+ft%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-4 <>

We really need to see an output to determine what is loaded on the ap or if there is an issue.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Your ap is probably a lightweight access point, which means you will not be able to telnet/ssh or http(s) until it has joined the controller. Many folks have had the same issue with other access points, I suggest trying a different console cable, even if yours works on a switch. I use a few like these: https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Console-FTDI-RJ45-Windows/dp/B07BK6P67K/ref=sr_1_4?crid=8120UX7T89C3&dchild=1&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+rj45&qid=1601049132&sprefix=usb+to+rj45+ft%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-4 <>

We really need to see an output to determine what is loaded on the ap or if there is an issue.
-Scott

Hi, thanks for the quick reply Scott.

There's literally no output at all so that makes this situation difficult to diagnose. However the fact that this AP has a console port directly on it makes me believe that it's not a lightweight AP. At least according to the user manual these APs are able to run in autonomous mode as well (which is what I need).

At any rate I am going to try the cable you suggest and see how it goes. Will report back if that solves it.

All Cisco access points will have a console port. If the ap is lightweight, then you will need to have a support contract in order to download the autonomous image. You can also tell by the model number printed on the label. If you see CAP, that is lightweight, if you see just AP1700, then it should be autonomous. There are a lot of guides on converting lightweight to autonomous and many videos. If you can get the image, then you can upload that autonomous image to the access point using the mode button. Just search around and follow some videos.
-Scott

Oh interesting. I do see "CAP" on the back of the AP. Guess that means I need to replace the firmware... I googled and found an article about replacing the image with the autonomous version via the mode button so I will try that (once I'm able to track down a firmware image).

Thanks again for the advice Scott.

Sounds good.
-Scott

Just circling back on this thread to post my solution. The two problems I had were:

1. The access point was in lightweight mode, and needed to have the autonomous image flashed

2. The original terminal cable I bought wasn't compatible with the AP

To solve 1 I downloaded the latest autonomous image for my AP, placed it in the TFTP public directory on my Mac, used the PumpKIN.app tftp server to serve it. Then manually configured my ethernet interface to have an ip 10.0.0.2, on subnet 255.0.0.0, and connected it to the POE port on the AP. Finally restarted the API while holding the MODE button for 20-30 seconds until the light turned solid red. Then the AP downloads the image from my TFTP server.

After this I still couldn't connect to the AP via terminal cable. To solve this I bought the cable that Scott recommended and it worked.

Those cables are great... single cable and never any issues unless you snap the clip in the rj45 end in which is also easy to fix.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: