cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to find Printers or Computers over Wireless LAN

dderbowka
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2504WLC. 2 Networks few AP's. Private Network and Guest Network. 
Guest Network has no issues so there's no use bringing it up. 
Network type is a Home/Small Buisness Network with Windows Domain. 

My issue is any devices connected on the Wireless LAN are unreachable. They can connect and browse the internet, hassle free however. 
For example, I have a wireless laptop, it cannot find the name of the \\FILESERVER2\ if it searches for it[Device Connected on Wired LAN]. It comes back inaccessible, but if I went \\10.0.0.5\ it finds it perfectly fine.  

However if it is on the Wired LAN via Ethernet \\FILESERVER2\ works perfectly fine. 
If a printer is connected to the Wireless LAN, (Using an older 1142N in Workgroup bridge mode) it cannot find it. Not even with the IP address. 
P2P Blocking Action (Disabled) - Is the only thing I can think of. They are all on the same subnet aswell. 

In otherwords: A device connected on the WiredLAN is accessible only by the IP address of the Wireless Device on Wireless Network, it does not work by using the computer name \\FILESERVER2\. If the computer is connected by Ethernet. No issues.

If a device is connected by the Wireless Network, Devices on the Wired LAN can not see the devices on the Wireless LAN even though they are on the same subnet.
You can scan the Wireless Network using a mobile phone to see any devices connected. However only by the IP address will show. Unless the device is wireless and using a AP Configured as a WGB. 

Thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dillon, just to close the loop on this one, the issue was that multicast was not setup right, after setting up multicast the cast destination shows up on wireless.

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Have you check name resolution is set up correctly. Are you using WINS or just DNS? Are you using DHCP to assign addressees for both network?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Bit more info to add here. Found my phones were also not seeing my Chromecasts. I never noticed because I rarely use them.
Sorry for the delayed response.

None the less, I enabled the mDNS on the WLC to see what happens. Well I lost Internet Connectivity, but my Chromecasts did show. Turned it off and went to Server 2012, I did check the name resolution in Server 2012's DNS settings. Added the _ipp._tcp, _ipps._tcp, _printer._tcp, _printer._sub._http._tcp and _googlecast._tcp to the tcp section as Alias (CNAME), so far things are "Working" but we will see what issues come (if any).

Back to the same issue after a whole day of seeing if the problem is solved,

Apparently it's not.

Wireless Devices are not seeing each-other. They will see each other if the network is scanned but not if it's a service. Just IP address.
I will focus more on the the Chromecasts as they are the easiest to deal with. No Phone can possibly cast to it what so ever. Not by LAN, not by WLAN. None.

Something or the WLC is not allowing it. And No P2P is not Blocked or Dropped. It is Disabled.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

can you verify code on WLC, AP model, also are you running interface group ?

-hope this helps-

What do you mean by the Code on the WLC?

AP's are 3 Cisco 3702I, and 1 Cisco 2602E
Controller is a AIR-WLC2504-5-K9 (With 10AP licence). No Interface Group.

Management is the main VLAN, Server 2012, and The SSID the devices are connected to are within this VLAN and within the same Subnet.

VLAN2 Guest is seperate. Just the Router and WLC are connected to it. Isolated from the main network along with P2P Blocked.

the software version on WLC ?

paste "show sysinfo" from controller CLI, if its ok with you.

Since your Guest is working as expected, lets not worry about it, to keep our focus clear.

I am assuming:

Access works between 2 devices when you connect 2 devices are on wired on same subnet.

Access works between 2 devices when one device is on wired and another on wireless on the same subnet

Access it does not work when both devices are on wireless.

Additionally if possible, perform a wireshark capture on one of the macbook connected to wired accessing a resource (preferably TCP).

connect the same macbook on wireless and perform same capture accessing same resource.

attach both pcap files.

Thank you

-hope this helps-

(Cisco Controller) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 8.5.120.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.20
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.6.101.1
Firmware Version................................. PIC 20.0

OUI File Last Update Time........................ Sun Sep 07 10:44:07 IST 2014

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... CISCT2504
System Location..................................
System Contact...................................
System ObjectID.................................. 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1279
IP Address....................................... 10.178.0.100
IPv6 Address..................................... ::
Last Reset....................................... Software reset
System Up Time................................... 1 days 9 hrs 47 mins 2 secs
System Timezone Location......................... (GMT -6:00) Central Time (US and Canada)

--More-- or (q)uit
System Stats Realtime Interval................... 5
System Stats Normal Interval..................... 180

Configured Country............................... US - United States
Operating Environment............................ Commercial (0 to 40 C)
Internal Temp Alarm Limits....................... 0 to 65 C
Internal Temperature............................. +24 C
External Temperature............................. +28 C
Fan Status....................................... 4800 rpm

State of 802.11b Network......................... Enabled
State of 802.11a Network......................... Enabled
Number of WLANs.................................. 3
Number of Active Clients......................... 15

OUI Classification Failure Count................. 1107

Burned-in MAC Address............................ 6C:FA:89:DA:32:40
Maximum number of APs supported.................. 75
System Nas-Id....................................
WLC MIC Certificate Types........................ SHA1/SHA2

Responses by the question.

Access works between 2 devices when you connect 2 devices are on wired on same subnet.
-Any Device connected by Ethernet can communicate with one another with 0 Failures providing both are connected by Ethernet. All Ethernet connections are one subnet.
_____

Access works between 2 devices when one device is on wired and another on wireless on the same subnet.
-Access works when the device in question is connected by Ethernet. The wireless device can find it without issues only by using the IP address and not the hostname. You can use either or if on Wired Eithernet.
-Flipping it the other way, if the wired device is connected by wireless, it will not find it by it’s host-name or IP address.

-Wired Devices cannot see the Chromecasts, wireless printers (Which have been converted to Ethernet for now), or wireless laptops. 

Access it does not work when both devices are on wireless. Correct.

We only use Windows Computers (2 Desktops) Multiple Laptops all run Windows 8. Will perform a wire shark capture later today.

OK, i wanted to check any known bug, but did not find any.

It does seem like an odd behavior, my house runs on 2504, most of my devices are Wireless and I heavily use P2P never had any issue, although I am using 8.5.135.0 unlike yours, since 8.5.120.0 is deferred.

See if you can upgrade, if you have support on your 2504, you might as well engage TAC and let us know, what where the findings.

on windows you will have challenges with wireless capture unless you have right adapters, but if you can please share the capture logs.

-hope this helps-

Controller is now Updated to 8.5.135.0.
No change.

Go to the SSID configuration, switch to the Advanced tab, make sure "Blocking P2P Action" is disabled. That would somewhat isolate the wireless clients from each other.

Hi Dillon, just to close the loop on this one, the issue was that multicast was not setup right, after setting up multicast the cast destination shows up on wireless.

-hope this helps-

Appreciate the assistance! Found the issue and came a solution. Appeared Multicast didn't have any configuration on the Controller>General Page and Controller>Multicast Page.

All network devices are functional as of those changes.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: