cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to remotely access 5508

JASON SIMMONS
Level 2
Level 2

This is terrible.  I had a 5508 WLC that I couldn't access remotely but Prime reported that it was still serving APs.  TAC RMA'ed it. Got the replacement, upgraded the code and I could access the GUI.  I restored the config from a backup and guess what!?! Cant access the GUI or SSH to it.  Yes it's enabled.

Do I have any other choice than to reconfigure this box click by click???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason,

I have seen issue with the config and restoring the same config doesn’t help. I have had to build the controller from scratch which has fixed the issues.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Hi,

Is it the WLC managed by Prime?  If so, that´s fine. 

Can you share the configuration you have on the WLC? Something on the configuration is broken as you mentioned RMA. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@JASON SIMMONS wrote:

I restored the config from a backup and guess what

Can you ping the IP address? 

Is the WLC ARP found in the table? 

Are the links configured as Trunk/LAG or not?

Can you ping the IP address? Yes

Is the WLC ARP found in the table? Yes

Are the links configured as Trunk/LAG or not? Trunk/LAG

@JASON SIMMONS wrote:
Are the links configured as Trunk/LAG or not? Trunk/LAG

Allowed VLANs? 

ACL?

Try this:  Do a continuous ping to the WLC IP address and then disable the link(s) to the WLC.  Is the IP address still reachable?

Sorry LAG
All VLANs allowed and tagged.

I'm not near my computer ATM I'll run your test when I get home.

No ACL's

Pings timed out when the Port Channel was disabled, and started responding when it was enabled.

Ok, that rules out duplicate IP Address.
I wonder if Telnet/SSH was accidentally disabled.

UPDATE:

I installed the AP supplemental bundle sometime last night, rebooted and walked away.  Woke up this morning and now I can access the GUI and SSH to the WLC. I didn't change anything in the config.  Just installed the bundle.  It shouldn't have had any affect on remote access, but its working now. 

Thanks for your help.

That shouldn’t have anything with the issue except for the reboot.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yeah, I know. I have to get the license regenerated and install it so there will be another reboot.

Interesting... let us know how it goes.
Btw. you also have telnet enabled, I suggest you disable it for security reasons.

hum,  can you cli into your service port IP?

If this is an HA pair, you can cli into your redundancy-management IP

seems in a non-HA status the r-m IP is not alive.

the service port should support gui access.

The service port isn't connected.
It's not an HA pair.
What I've discovered with this WLC is that I can't access it via a wireless connection. Yes, it's enabled. I have another WLC with it's management interface on the same subnet, same code, and a basically identical configuration that I can access via wireless so that rules out an ACL to me. It isn't worth my time to keep fooling with it.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card