Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Updating two 4402 WLCs need advise

Hi,

Currenty have (2) - AIR-WLC4402-12-K9 with Software Version: 5.2.193.0 running with (12) - AIR-LAP1252AG-A-K9 Software: 5.2.193.0 IOS: 12.4(18a)JA2. I have couple question hoping you guys could help me out with them.

1. Under Cisco download cisco page I have two options: Early Deployment(ED) or Maintenance Deployment(MD) -  Which one would be safer and which version would you suggest to  install?
  2. When I upgrade Software on WLCs do I need to do anything with LWAPs or they will redownload new image from the controller?
  3. If the LWAPs get new image from WLC that basically updates their IOS?. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  4. Can I jump from Software Version 5.x to 7.x right away OR do I need to do multiple updates?
  5. I'm also running WCS Version: 6.0.132.0 and ACS Version : 5.0.0.21. Will any of these will need to be updated as well? If yes how do I know which versions works well with each other?

Thank you in advance.

20 Replies 20

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With the 4402's you should be in v7.0.240.0. The upgrade process can be found here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_240_0.html

Also make sure you upgrade to the latest ER version to. The info is in the release notes.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Additional notes for you

When upgrading from 5.2.193.0 to 7.0.240.0 release, access points with names that contain spaces will lose their configured name. For example, if an access point was named "APTestName 12," after upgrade, when the access point rejoins the controller, the name is truncated to "APTestName."

5.2.157.0 or later 5.2 release you can upgrade directly to 7.0.240.0.

FUS info
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_240_0.html#wp877571

-Scott

Scott,

Last question, when upgrading WLC do I need to update  APs ios first or It will feed it from the controller? Meaning do I need  to load them with recovery image or wlc will take care of it for me?

The WLC will upgrade the AP's you don't have to worry about that.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Keep this matrix handy also. This shows you what code is compatible with other code versions

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

-Scott

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Make sure that last support for 4402 wlc is 7.0.240.0

1. Under Cisco download cisco page I have two options: Early Deployment(ED) or Maintenance Deployment(MD) -  Which one would be safer and which version would you suggest to  install?

Here is image you should download:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=279911193&flowid=7586&softwareid=280926587&release=7.0.240.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

2.  When I upgrade Software on WLCs do I need to do anything with LWAPs or they will redownload new image from the controller?

You dont need to do anything, they will download the new image from WLC.

3. If the LWAPs get new image from WLC that basically updates their IOS?. Correct me if I'm wrong.

yes they will and also changes some config , but you can cross check later on WLC.(As scott also mention about AP name, so that you can check after AP joins to wlc with new code)

4.  Can I jump from Software Version 5.x to 7.x right away OR do I need to do multiple updates?

Yes you can directly upgarde to 7.0.240.0

Here is the upgrade compatibilty matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_240_0.html#wp784882

5.  I'm also running WCS Version: 6.0.132.0 and ACS Version : 5.0.0.21. Will any of these will need to be updated as well? If yes how do I know which versions works well with each other?

make sure you have equal or higher version on wcs then wlc .

Check thsi compatibility matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html#wp99531

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bartosz,

You may want to look at Prime Infrastructure... right now as long as you have a support contract on WCS, you can upgrade to PI 1.4.x or PI 2.0 for free!!!! 

ACS version you have is pretty old too, and that you might want to look at upgrading.  The latest release is v5.5, but if it still works fine, then just leave it.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Scott and Sandee,

Thank you for your feedback I really appreciate it. Question about ACS-if I'll leave it at the current version I shouldn't have any issues with the wireless correct? ACS upgrade is not on the scope but I want to verify before.

Thank you in advance,

Bart

you dont have to worry about this , it will work with this version. You have ACS 5.0 version so its not so pretty old but as Scott mentioned, If you can then go for higher version.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Sandee,

One more thing. Is there preference which one should be upgraded first meaning wlc then wcs, the other way or it doesn't matter?

I'm guessing it doesn't matter since two different platforms but want to make sure.

It doesn't matter... you can do it the same time if you want:)

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Yes It doesnt matter but make sue that while adding WLC to WCS ,you must have equal or higher version on WCS then

WLC.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts, also mark as answered, it may help others.

Awesome, thank you. 

Also,

Sandee you are saying that I will have to readd wlcs once upgraded?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card