Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade WLC to 8.5.120 - advice please

Jay_F
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for those who had helped me through the upgrade of our WLC's from 8.0.133 to 8.5.120. I upgraded the HA controller to the interim 8.3.140 and then to 8.5.120. I moved the AP's off the primary to the HA and then upgraded the primary to 8.5.120. However, and i'm not entirely sure it is related but our clients have since been unable to access The Cloud. i had wondered if it had anything to do with the anchor controller now being on and older version to the primary and HA ? - i wouldnt think its likely as the other SSID's we have users are able to connect. Only seem to affect access to The Cloud. The AP's being used are Cisco Aironet 2700 series. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

17 Replies 17

thanks patorberli. Yes the anchor controller and HA controller are on different subnets although everything was working fine prior to this upgrade - it could be that the anchor controller has to be the same versions as the primary and HA (not likely though) and could mean a big job for us instead of a staged approach as we were doing. Upgrading the anchor would impact the whole lot. The fact its not pinging from the anchor to the ha implies a firewall issue although again, nothing had changed only firmware upgrade. I think maybe we should be looking at firewall side.

Yeah, you could try to do a packet capture on the firewall, to see if the ping packets are permitted.

Regarding new-mobility, I think you can disable it, because it's mostly for added functionality with 3850 and 5760 WLC. See here for more information: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-5/configuration-guide/b_cg75/b_cg75_chapter_010010101.html

Also note that new-mobility was changed in 8.1.

On the other hand, I think you hit some bug in 8.5.120.0 here, not a configuration issue. The next 8.5 release (probably 8.5.130.0) will probably be released next week.

Thanks patoberli, most helpful :)
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card