cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading CMX 10.5 to 10.6

Maurice Ball
Level 3
Level 3

I have upgraded CMX 10.5 to 10.6 and I am having some problems with the upgrade. One of my problems is I am now getting the certificate error again. I need to log in with the root user to correct the certificate issue, but I'm not able to get access with that user. Are you no longer allowed to access CMX 10.6 with the root user? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I can confirm that, installed CMX 10.6 and had log a TAC with Cisco on an issue I had with my maps. They wanted to get access via the root account and realized that this can't be done with the 10.6 version. They advised that there will be a patch release to resolve this.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7
You can do this via CLI using the "cmxadmin" account. What creds are you trying to use and is it GUI or CLI? (obviously don't post password here!)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/mse/10-6/cmx_config/b_cg_cmx106/getting_started_with_cisco_cmx.html
-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

I think you are right, with CMX 10.6.x it does not allow to got to root user mode using "su root" once you are in cmxadmin CLI.

Rasika

I can confirm that, installed CMX 10.6 and had log a TAC with Cisco on an issue I had with my maps. They wanted to get access via the root account and realized that this can't be done with the 10.6 version. They advised that there will be a patch release to resolve this.

Ok great, thanks for the information.

Do you have a BugID for this issue with not being able to login with root in 10.6 ?

/Thomas

Hi,

I don't think it's a bug, but more a security change after release 10.2.

In this document: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/mse/10-6/cmx_config/b_cg_cmx106.pdf

You can find the following info:

Root User Changes
In releases prior to Cisco CMX 10.2, all the processes used the root user role. This has been changed in Cisco
CMX 10.2 by introducing two new user roles: cmx and cmxadmin. The cmx user is a no-login user who owns
all the processes, except postgres. The cmxadmin is the primary user who performs all the administrative
tasks.
The root user is not disabled; this user can still be used for installation and debugging. You cannot directly
log in to root through SSH or console. First you have log in as cmxadmin and then issue the su command to
go to the root user level.

Do not use the root user account; unless explicitly directed to do so by the Cisco Technical Assistance Center
team.

Eric Boers
Level 1
Level 1

I found this document for resetting the root password:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/mse/10-6/cmx_config/b_cg_cmx106.pdf

I tried this procedure on a new VMware image with cmx10.6.1 and although i was able to change the root password succesfully , the root password has no access. ;-(

Maybe the solution provided in this document works for upgrade 10.5 to 10.6?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card