cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

usage of "resetRootPassword.sh" in NCS

David Kankam
Level 1
Level 1

How can i use the command "resetRootPassword.sh"  in NCS to change the root password, i have NCS installed in VMWARE.

I have tried tried

"ncs password root password newpassword"

and it did not work, the systems recommends i use  "resetRootPassword.sh"

Any help will be appreciated.

7 Replies 7

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What password you want to change? The admin password of the ncs? The CLI or the GUI password?

Try the command:

ncs reset-password.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

I am trying to change the root password on NCS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

If you don't have access to the console and that is the password you want to change, because you don't know it, you need to download the iso for the NCS image you have, mount that in VM, make sure you boot up into the bios, when in the bios, you boot to that image (you upload that to the datastore and mount that on the VM), and there is an option to recover the password.  You can either use the NCS iso or you can open a TAC case and they can get you a recovery image to use.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have access to the console with the admin account and I have tried almost all that the documentation recommends.

I have had a TAC case open since Tuesday, had an engineer do a webex with me but he could not reset the root password.

Cisco's documentation for resetting the password in NCS does not work.

Any other help will be grateful.

Did you boot to the NCS.ISO or if TAC gave you the recovery image, di you boot from that?  That is the only way to recover your root password.  So upload the NCS ISO to your datastore and boot from that and there will be an option to recover the password.  I have done this a few times. If you don't want to do this process, then you have to rebuild your NCS.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks Scott I will do that Monday morning.

I don't know why TAC didn't go through this, but its fine..... remember that when you upload the NCS iso file, you need to make sure you click on the box to boot the vm into bios and also make sure you load the ncs ios into the vm's cd-rom.  When in the bios, you just need to change your parameter to boot from the CD-ROM and then you will be presented with a menu in which the password recovery is there.... Its very simple, the struggle people have is booting into the bios and figuring out how to boot form the CD-ROM and not the HD.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card