cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use 1242 5GHz to create wireless bridge

BenzylAlkonium
Level 1
Level 1

I have Eight AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9's accross our site that have 2 SSID's and 2 VLAN's that work well, I want to link one of the AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 to another one using 5ghz patch antennas across a 50 metre gap, but I am puzzled on how to do this, as to create a root bridge and a non route bridge link I need to put the infrastucture SSID on and this must be on VLAN1  but I want the traffic from both VLANs to pass over this link. I just want to ensure the config will work as I need to go into a cherry picker to get to the non-root-bridge.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

On the Engineering AP you need to configure the subinterace on Radio 1

dot11radio1.1234

encapsulation dot1q 1234

bridge-group 255

It got created on the Radio 0, but not radio 1.

Also, you don't need to configure the second SSID, unelss you are wanting to service clients on that subnet as well.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Configuration wise it's not that much different from having multiple SSID on an AP. except you only have the one SSID

Configure your SSID and call VLAN 1 in it. You've already notes that you need the infrastructure SSID command. Make sure you call VLAN 1 on the cipher under the radio as well.

All you need to do to trunk the other VLAN across is build the sub interfaces in radio 1 and the fastethernet interfaces and create those bridge groups. And trunk to the ap.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I understand what you are saying, now where can i find some info on how to configure this. I already have the bridge up and runing and VLAN1 traffic working fine. I just need my second VLAN to go accross now.

Running 12.4(25d)JA

Thanks

This should work for you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008058f53e.shtml

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Hi Steve I have the point to point Root Bridge to Non Root Bridge running on Radio1 and traffic on VLAN1 is functioning perfectly but I can't seem to route my second VLAN over it

can you post the config of the root and non-root?

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

configs attached as requested

On the Engineering AP you need to configure the subinterace on Radio 1

dot11radio1.1234

encapsulation dot1q 1234

bridge-group 255

It got created on the Radio 0, but not radio 1.

Also, you don't need to configure the second SSID, unelss you are wanting to service clients on that subnet as well.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thanks I will try that, the second SSID is for open access for non staff and goes directly out via a DSL line that is seperated from the corporate network

Hi Steve that did the trick. After I ran those commands through the CLI it all works perfectly.

I am not that up on using the CLI and in the WebUI it would not let me assign the second VLAN on to Radio1.

Thanks Again

Martin

No worries glad I could help.

I'm way more comfortable at the CLI of an IOS AP than I am the GUI myself.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

It Appears I will have to learn the CLI, because some of the GUI options just don't seem logical, like turning Radio1 to enable in the GUI does not always work, but the CLI command "no shutdown" works perfectly!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: