Views
Helpful
Replies

Using SIP on softphones over wireless network

Craig Le-Butt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We're looking at using staffs own softphones with a SIP client over our wireless network.

We have a Avaya Communication manager which the SIP will via.

What I'm looking for is a way of keeping our wireless network secure but allow users to use their own private softphones with the SIP client as their extension numbers.

I've been looking at the new ISE system. This looks like what we want will do the job no problem. But cost is holding us back for a while.

I could probably get this working via creating a new SSID and keeping it separate form out current ssid. But ideally would want to be able to use the softphones under the current SSID without changing the current security levels..

As there would be a mixture of makes and models of softphones, wonder if anyone has come across this and would like to give some pointers.

Cheers in advance

Craig

1 Reply 1

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Craig,

This is going to depend on what security you are using for the WLAN. 

Most smartphones should be able to support PEAP w/WPA2/AES.  So the security shoudln't be too difficult, and the credentials are ther current AD credentials.

HTH,
Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the quesiton as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card