Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Wifi and LAN simultaneously in the same subnet

TobiasMT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a remote site with FlexConnect and mainly Win7 devices. Last week we came across IP-adress conflicts for that scope. The Clients use the same Subnet for both NICs and they are active at the same time.

As I could not find reliable information about issues with using the same subnet on two NICs at the same time I would like to pose this question to the community.

Do you know of any interferences this setup could cause?

Thanks for your replies.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You will find this scenario with any home internet wifi-router. 

There are plenty of times when I am both connected physically and wirelessly, with both interfaces providing my laptop with a default route. Crucially the routing table entry for the physical interface will have a lower metric to eliminate asymmetric routing.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You will find this scenario with any home internet wifi-router. 

There are plenty of times when I am both connected physically and wirelessly, with both interfaces providing my laptop with a default route. Crucially the routing table entry for the physical interface will have a lower metric to eliminate asymmetric routing.

cheers,

Seb.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- It should work, provided a single DHCP server with a single scope for that subnet. This could normally not lead to IP-address conflicts. 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card