Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan creation on the local mode AP

mh@hcl.com
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

when the local controller is down, all the AP's were connecting to secondary controller(foreign controller)

please help me the procedure to create the virtual vlans on the foreign controller. as we have three ssid's each are dedicated to particular group

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

we need to know more about your environment some kind of high level network where this foreign controller, is this part of your network or over internet ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

we have 35 plants and two data centers, each plant has individual WLC controllers some are 3504 and some are 5508.

all the Access points are configured, the primary controller as the local one and secondary as the controller in data center.

when the local control was down or issue, the AP's were joined to secondary controller through MPLS.

when the local control was down or issue, the AP's were joined to secondary controller through MPLS.

As per above statement is this working, ? or is this requirement ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

currently it is working, we have three SSID's which are /24.

requirement is when AP's were on the secondary controller the SSID's need to give the local IP address. for this is we need to create the virtual vlan on the secondary controller, if so how.

thank you,

but how to configure the the controller as a secondary unit(redundancy) for 35 controllers.

You can login via SSH to the primary WLC on each site and then issue the command:
config ap secondary-base controller_name Cisco_AP [controller_ip_address]
More details here:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01110011.pdf

we already configured the secondary WLC,  if the primary WLC is down, access point will connect to secondary WLC which is data center. in this scenario users will be getting the local address of secondary WLC not the ip address schema of the Primary WLC location.

My requirement is , users need to be on the local IP scheme even if they jump to secondary.

I think you will have to run flexconnect and do some design changes to achieve that or if you have ISE or other radius server you can configure policy for dynamic vlan assignment no matter the user goes through primary controller or secondary controller and you will have to dediate a VLAN that can span across both sites over L2

-hope this helps-

I think that would be an Anchor controller design. It will probably require some re-designs of your network. But I think Flexconnect localswitching would probably be the better solution for you.
Here about Anchor:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-1/Enterprise-Mobility-8-1-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-1_Deployment_Guide/WirelessNetwork_GuestAccessService.html
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card