cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Select ?

Evan Cameron
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to assign a single ssid to multiple interface groups by assigning the ssid to multiple AP groups? 

I have buildings geographically dispersed that are configured with multiple vlans in interface groups so that I can maintain an addressing scheme of dhcp assigned addresses per building.  Each building is also further grouped as AP groups.  I'd like to know if by assigning the same wlan ssid to each of the

AP groups, will I maintain addressing integrity for each building?  I'm thinking it will work.

Do the buildings have to be outside AP range of each other to avoid problems?

What gotchas should I be aware of?

5508 controller

7.2.110.0  code

6 buildings

6 interface groups

1 ssid

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do this if your ap's are in local mode.or if they are in FlexConnect with the code you are running.  As far as I know, Layer 3 roaming is not supported on FlexConnect when using local switching.  So if there is a chance that a device from one building can roam to another that is configured for a different subnet, that will break.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_2.html#wp919086

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Evan:

Yes you can do that. and Scott is right abotu L3 roaming. If you use local FlexConnect/Local switching then L3 roaming does not work. So you better manage your RF coverage accordingly.

HTH

Amjad

You want to say "Thank you"?
Don't. Just rate the useful answers,
that is more useful than "Thank you".

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Evan Cameron
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for confirming my belief.  I expected the L3 limitation with the expectation that an end device would not be able to

perform a seamless roam, but rather would re-associate to the same ssid and receive new addressing via dhcp.

You must also be careful, because some devices may not know to request another ip address and this might cause you more issue.  Something you will need to test.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card