Views
Helpful
Replies

Vocera Site Survey

mjohnson1914
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

Has anyone ever done a site survey for Vocera?  If so, did you use the actual badge during the site survey?  I have read the Vocera Design Guide and it stated that their badges can be put into a site survey mode to capture reading from a network AP however I am unsure if this means that a Vocera Infrastructure needs to be in place for this to happen. 

I can probably get my hands on a couple badges but I'm not sure if I'll be able to configure them to associate to my survey AP so that I can do the site survey without them talking to the Vocera Server.  So, I'm kind of stuck not knowing if this is possible or not.  I typically use Proxim Wireless Cards and I know that they are most likely stronger than the Vocera badges so I'm not sure how I can get a true Apples to Apples survey result without having the badges during the survey.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No need to have the communication server up and running. You will need the badge configuration utility. This allows you to configure the badge to the WLAN and security for your survey.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yea use the bad along with your survey software .. I did a blog post on this a bit ago

http://www.my80211.com/site-survey/2010/2/13/site-survey-hint-attach-your-wifi-phone-to-your-survey-pc-vo.html

Also give yourself 3 dBM fluff or a little more. Close doors, take reading in corners.
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

George,

Thanks for your response.  I read your blog and have a quick question for you.  When you did the Vocera Survey were you able to put the badge in site survey mode without having a Vocera Server in place??  I know that a 7925 phone can be used in survey mode without Call Manager so I just want to know if this is the same process with the badge because I assumed it was but was told that it wouldn't work without the Vocera Server.  I tried to reach out to Vocera to confirm but they were reluctant to answer any questions because they thought for some reason we were competition for them. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

No need to have the communication server up and running. You will need the badge configuration utility. This allows you to configure the badge to the WLAN and security for your survey.

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Thank you sir ... love your quotes ... I may have to use the second one! 

Thanks for using the rating system. Stop back if you have any questions !

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card