Views
Helpful
Replies

Vowlan in Tunnels (Underground) with AP 1310

vchipghadimi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We installed 20 access point (1310 LAP)  in 4 km tunnel ( each 200 meter one ap) for vowlan projects with 7925g phones .

on each radio we have 2 antenna (AIR-ANT2506) and diversity is enabled .

But we have problems like one way talks or weak signal . but in site survey we get almost 67db signal . i tought we over designed projects with this much of ap but in realty its not.

Some users using their phones in cars , we disabled lower data rates and 12mb in mandatory and 18 to 24 in recommended in WLC.

What is your recommendaion to improve quality of wifi network in this type of projects ? Could we use b only with lower data rate and increse power?

I apprecited your help and support .

Thank you

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 1310 has a powerful radio. I have seen one way speech issues when one radio is higher in power then the handset. What is the 1310 power level set at ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Becouse of weak signal in some area i set it in manual mode to 1 , another interesting point is no one of access point not using channel 6 , just using channel 1 and 11 .

I surprised becouse as you said radio is power full enough and i tought 20 ap is enough for this project.

Power on the 1310 is like 200mw and if you add an antenna for example 3bi you will have 400mw coming out of the ap. the Cisco phone I think does 100mw .. You can see you have a large separation. You should always try and match the lowest device. In this case the phone..

If you are in a tunnel rrm and channel selection will like not work. You should try setting the channels manually.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

What about multipath in tunnel? we have concrete walls and some curve in tunnel. tunnel width is almost 12 meter . could it be couse of  weak signal? should i go for 802.11 g or to increase power go to 802.11b and lower bandwdth like 11 or 5.5?

Here again you are tx many times over from what the phone can. I would lower power on the 1310s and resurvey. Higher power is only going to make things worse.

If multipath is an issue you will see high retires ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card