Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS - Northbound notification reciever unreachable

gabsfedor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to configure an snmp notification reciever on WCS 7.0, so that critical alarms get reported to our central console. Following the configuration guide I was able to add the reciever as northbound, but after adding it I get an alarm saying that it is unreachable by WCS so all alarm notification will be suspended.

I have tested snmp and ping connectivity between the WCS box and the notification reciever and it works ok, is there some other traffic that I might be missing?. I've seen some packets going from the WCS box to TCP port 7 on the reciever, which as far as I know is the echo service, is that what WCS uses to test connectivity?. Thanks for any help and regards,

Gabriel.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes you need to allow tcp port 7 that is for keepalive between WCS and the receiver Server.

Please do not forget to mark thread as resolved when you believe you got the answer you were looking for.

Thanks

Serge

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Serge Yasmine
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, you have a firewall in between right?

Hi,

Yes, I do have a firewall but the relevant traffic is allowed to pass (UDP 162). The only thing I've seen denied is traffic to TCP port 7 that's why I think that might be what's missing, but I would like to confirm that since the box is already on a prod environment and I can't really test things there. Regards,

Gabriel.

Yes you need to allow tcp port 7 that is for keepalive between WCS and the receiver Server.

Please do not forget to mark thread as resolved when you believe you got the answer you were looking for.

Thanks

Serge

Serge,

As you said I opened port 7 TCP on the firewall and all seems to be working fine now, Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Gabriel

Thx for the confirmation Gabriel. Have a goodk one.

Thank you,

Serge

sent from mobile

Is it still required to allow TCP port 7 if you are using Cisco NCS or Prime?

Cisco WCS documentation states:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/7.0/configuration/guide/7_0admin.html#wp1131316

Step 6  Choose the receiver type between basic North Bound and Guest Access.

The Notification Type automatically defaults to UDP.

Step 7  Enter the UDP parameters including Port Number and Community.

Note  The receiver that you configure should be listening to UDP on the same port that is configured.

Step 8  If you have selected North Bound as the receiver type, specify the criteria and severity.

Note  Alarms for only selected category will be processed.

Note  Alarms with only selected severity matching the selected categories will be processed.

Step 9  Click Save to confirm the Notification Receiver information.

Note • By default only INFO level events will be processed for selected Category.

• Only SNMPV2 traps will be considered for northbound notification.

• You need to allow TCP port 7 which is required for keepalive between WCS and the receiver server.

That TCP port 7 should be allowed.

Cisco Prime documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/1.2/user/guide/maint_sys_health.html

Configure remote event and alarm receivers who will receive notifications from Prime Infrastructure.

Note          Alerts and events are sent as SNMPv2 notifications to configured notification receivers. If you are adding a notification receiver with the notification type UDP, the receiver you add should be listening to UDP on the same port on which it is configured. By default, only INFO level events are processed for the selected category. Only SNMPV2 traps are considered for northbound notification.

Doesnt explicitedly say tcp port 7 also should be allowed.

I cant find any documentation on Cisco NCS...

Yes it is still required to have TCP port 7 open between (Prime Infra / NCS /WCS) and the NorthBound Server.

Thx

Serge

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card