cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Web-Auth, Built in webpage fails to display - Intermitent problem.

Dylan Hyndman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a problem which is steadily becoming more and more frequent.

I have a visitor wireless network using web-auth which works just fine most of the time. Visitors turn on their wifi, associate to the visitor network and open a browser which redirects to the authentication page which is hosted on the 4404 WLC. This has worked fine for a couple of years. About 6 months ago I had an issue where visitors were unable to reach the authentication page. They were able to associate to the visitor service, pick up an IP using a seperate DHCP service, resolve the IP of the webpage and I was able to see them on the controller. It appears that the controller just stops serving the authentication webpage. I looks like the built in webserver has frozen/crashed. The only way I have been able to rectify the issue is by restarting the controller, but this kicks off all my other users that are using our other wireless service (WPA + WPA2 Auth(802.1X)). This is obviously somthing that cant go on.

Has anyone else had this issue. Is it possible to restart the emweb http daemon without a system restart? This problem is reocuring more and more now, its now a weekly problem.

I have several WLC 4402's and a 4404, this problem is only effecting the 4404 and 1 of the 4402's ( at diferent times).

WCS Software Version 5.1.64.0

4404 Software Version 5.1.163.0

4402 Software Version 5.1.163.0

AIR-LAP1242AG-E-K9

Cheers

Dylan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dylan,

CSCsx07878: Webauth: web page not displayed under heavy load

Fixed in 5.2.193 and later.

And you don't need that heavy load to make it die by the way. That bug has been faced by thousands of people on your verison

Hope this helps.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dylan,

CSCsx07878: Webauth: web page not displayed under heavy load

Fixed in 5.2.193 and later.

And you don't need that heavy load to make it die by the way. That bug has been faced by thousands of people on your verison

Hope this helps.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful.

Thanks for that Nicolas,

I will look into this and then post how I get on.

Cheers

zhenningx
Level 4
Level 4

In our past experiences with wisms 4.x and 5.x, they always had issues with web auth page not able to load intermittently. We upgraded several versions with no luck. Finally we made WLANs open authentication and use another product to provide web auth. After that, no webpage issues at all for almost 2 years.

It appears that upgrading solved the issue.

Upgraded from the following:

WCS Software Version 5.1.64.0

4404 Software Version 5.1.163.0

4402 Software Version 5.1.163.0

to the following:

WCS Software Version 6.0.196.0

4404 Software Version 6.0.199.4

4402 Software Version 6.0.199.4

Thanks Everyone.

Dylan

kenpearce
Level 1
Level 1

We're running 6.0.199.4 on our 4404's (3) and our  5508 and having the exact same problem.   We've got 96 AP's and roughly 1000 users on the 5508 at peak load times and it's crashed twice in the past week.  The existing users that have already authenticated keep on working, the new users are not able to get authenticated I'm guessing because the emWeb process has crashed on the WLC.

Cisco is suggesting we upgrade to a soon to be released version of the OS....

Message was edited by: kenpearce

Hi Ken,

That sounds exactly like the issue I had. But since the upgrade the system has been stable and we've had above average associations this week. I'd be interested to hear how you get on after your upgrades.

Dylan

Hey All,

I'd like to comment and say we've seen the exact same issue from 4.X to current 7.0.98.0 code. We lose the web auth function but clients still get all ip,dns etc. The users already on that SSID work great and new 802.1x (second ssid) users can authenticate.

Another thing I've noticed is that the WCS marks the "bad" WLC as unreachable when the web auth issue arises. We've been dealing with this issue for at least 3 years but its been hard to troubleshoot. We need the wlc operational within a limited window so we usually reboot it to get clients connected. I can still ssh/telnet/gui to WLC but the web auth redirect is dead.

If you found out anything further, please pass it along.

Craig

Our issue with Web Auth and WLC's seems to have been resolved with a WLC update provided by the TAC engineers, version 7.0.98.209.   It's been running for 2.5 weeks and the problem has not happened since.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the great reply I really appreciate that.

We always reboot our WLC right away as its needed to run the system so I don't get enough time with TAC to research it.

What logs our outputs did they request from you? Did they comment on exaclty what the issue was, emWeb process failure?

Thanks for anymore info you can give me. I'm interested in hearing how the update is working a month or 2 form now.

have a good one

Craig

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: