cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When does the secondary DHCP server (relay) used under a interface on the WLC - 5008 work?

mark.chennell
Level 1
Level 1
Spoiler
Spoiler
Hi all
We had an issue with our primary DHCP server yesterday and it appears the WLC did not forward any DHCP requests to the configured secondary DHCP server (under the controller>interfaces>created interface)

I was trying to find information online about how this works but no joy;
Is it an active/standby setup?
or active/active

But that being said we so no request coming into the secondary if when the primary is up (or down)

Regards
Mark
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is how it should work, not sure about different behavior on recent codes. 

I had a packet capture from a WLC & I saw dynamic interface sending DHCP Discover messages to both primary & secondary DHCP server in it.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi Mark,

Dynamic interface should send DHCP discovery messages to both DHCP servers configured.

HTH

Rasika

without sounding to offish ....

Do you know if this is actually how they operate or maybe differs depending on code (as in ... the cisco way vs the out in the field)

thanks

That is how it should work, not sure about different behavior on recent codes. 

I had a packet capture from a WLC & I saw dynamic interface sending DHCP Discover messages to both primary & secondary DHCP server in it.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Agree with Rasika it forwards to both servers, that's how it work for us, primary & secondary - live/live.

Not aware of any differences on different code versions.

So that suggests the problem was not your WLC but rather your DHCP server or routing/firewalls/ACLs between the WLC and your secondary DHCP server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card