cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why Cisco wlc's interfaces mac address are same ?

HI Everyone,

I looked at the interface details and noticed that all dynamic-interfaces have the same MAC address. And it is basically the same as the MAC address of the management interface. My WLC is 5508, and I want to know how the Cisco WLC assigns MAC addresses to various interfaces.

Interface Type:
Management Interface
RMI
RP
Virtual
Service Port
Dynamic-interface

Commands:
show interface detail <interface-name>
show port detailed-info

Does anyone know how to explain this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
7 Replies 7

Anyone know this ?

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
As they are anyway in a different VLAN each, it doesn't really matter.
Then there are the following interfaces, which at least on the 5520 model have a different MAC:
RMI (not checked)
RP (can't check because HA SSO is enabled)
Virtual
Service Port

To summarize, the virtual-interfaces have all the same MAC address as the management interface.

Thanks for your response!
i have checked on 5508,mgmt and virtual interface are same
MAC address.But I have one
Pair wlc in HA mode,mgmt and
RMI have same MAC address,when I ping the
RMI of active wlc from other subnets,it cannot be ping.i can ping mgmt ip of active wlc and RMI ip of standby wlc.So,I think it’s the RMI of active wlc cannot be ping due to Mgmt and RMi MAC address are same.Do you think so? Or is it normal?

Br

Not fully sure if I have understood you correct.
But as far as I remember, the WLC share the same MAC address in a HA SSO setup, so only the active device should answer when you ping the Redundancy Management IP.

Are you talking about the management interface? What I want to say is RMI. The RMIs of the active and standby WLCs have different IP addresses. I can ping the standby RMI IP and the active mgmt ip, but I cannot ping the active RMI IP. Normally, they should all be able to ping, right? The problem I found is that the RMI and mgmt of active wlc have the same MAC address. Is this the root cause of the problem?

So you actually have a problem, or is it just that you can't ping a specific IP address?
I just checked my installation, I can ping the "Redundancy Mgmt Ip" and the "Peer Redundancy Mgmt Ip" found under Controller - Redundancy - Global Configuration.
You could make a failover, so that the current primary reboots, that usually fixes various issues.

I have check another WLC HA,the RMI's mac address is the same as mgmt, maybe,it's normal.
making a failover could be a goog idea, thanks for your help.I will try it if possible.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card