cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will Cisco Controller Based Access Points Still Work If Controller Loses Power

Keegan Santos
Level 1
Level 1

Had a quick question, we have setup a few of the controller based systems for the Cisco wireless, but the one thing I'm not sure on is whether or not they will continue to function if the controller loses power or fails for some reason.  And if they do, is there a certain period of time after which they will cease to function.  And if any of the AP's reboot while the controller is offline will they still function after coming back online, or will they have to communicate back to the controller and if they are unable to they basically won't work until the controller comes back online?

Hopefully that's all clear, let me know if I can provide anymore info.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Is there a way for the AP to automatically switch to local authentication and local switching if it detects the controller goes down and switch back to central authentication and switching when it comes back up?

Yes, it is automatic failover & failback process.

Can the AP's IP be on the same subnet as the controller and/or connected clients and function in H-REAP mode?

Typically FlexConnect AP deploy where you do not have controller locally. So most of the cases AP & WLC will be at two different sites. 

If you have a WLC locally, still you want to deploy AP in FlexConnect mode in that site, you can keep both in same subnet, if you want.

If I am understanding this correctly if we were to use WPA2-PSK and setup the AP's in local authentication and local switching mode then if the controller goes down it would still be able to perform its functions, even if the AP reboots

If that is the case does setting it up this way degrade performance or roaming efficiency in any way?

FlexConnect AP won't reboot if it loose the WLC, instead it goes to "Standalone" mode

Roaming performance vary depend on WLC reachable (connected mode) or not (standalone mode).

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

It will work, if AP mode is "FlexConnect" & you have configured WLAN for Local switching.

If AP operates in "Local" mode will not function if you loose your WLC.

HTH

Rasika

Can you elaborate more on "FlexConnect" and the local switching?  Or if you have links to resources covering this info that would also be helpful.

Hi Keegan,

Here is the complete info about Flexconnect: just go through it once.

H-Reap Design and Deployment Guide

H-REAP Modes of Operation Configuration Example

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Ok thank you for the information.  If I am understanding this correctly if we were to use WPA2-PSK and setup the AP's in local authentication and local switching mode then if the controller goes down it would still be able to perform its functions, even if the AP reboots.  

If that is the case does setting it up this way degrade performance or roaming efficiency in any way?

Is there a way for the AP to automatically switch to local authentication and local switching if it detects the controller goes down and switch back to central authentication and switching when it comes back up?

Can the AP's IP be on the same subnet as the controller and/or connected clients and function in H-REAP mode?

Thank you both for your assistance thus far, has been very enlightening.

Would anyone happen to have an answer to my above questions?

Yes, it is automatic failover & failback process.

Typically FlexConnect AP deploy where you do not have controller locally. So most of the cases AP & WLC will be at two different sites. 

If you have a WLC locally, still you want to deploy AP in FlexConnect mode in that site, you can keep both in same subnet, if you want.

If I am understanding this correctly if we were to use WPA2-PSK and setup the AP's in local authentication and local switching mode then if the controller goes down it would still be able to perform its functions, even if the AP reboots

FlexConnect AP won't reboot if it loose the WLC, instead it goes to "Standalone" mode

Roaming performance vary depend on WLC reachable (connected mode) or not (standalone mode).

HTH

Rasika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card