Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 7 laptops unable to connect to WiFi automatically

jeen_wifi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We are facing a wierd issue where the Windows 7 laptops are unable to connect to the corporate Wifi automatically.

We have pushed the profiles using Group Policy and there are about 15 profiles present on each laptop. The SSIDs are not broadcasted and PEAP is the authentciation method. While the Windows XP and some of the older Win 7 laptops connect fine the newer Dell 6410/20s doesnt. Upgrading the wireless card drivers hasnt made a difference.

I am posting this to know if anyone else on this forum has faced this issue and found a fix? Please suggest what could be the problem. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards

17 Replies 17

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can the laptops connect if the SSID is OPEN authentication?

Have you tried other clients?  MAC OS?  Android?  Apple iOS?

Many thanks for responding.

Yes, the laptops connect to the guest WLAN, but not to the non broadcasted WLANs.

I havent tried with other clients, but XP and few older Win 7 laptops work fine.

Yes, the laptops connect to the guest WLAN, but not to the non broadcasted WLANs.

Try to test if the laptops connect to your non-broadcasting WLAN with OPEN authentication.  If it is able to do so, then the problem is your authentication and not wireless.

Thanks... I will check if the authentication is the issue, i did not see any logs on the WLC saying authentication failed. I will start a debug client on the WLC and see if the client is indeed trying to authenticate.

Thanks again

You said the SSIDs are not broadcasted? How much do you have? I had this probem with nonbroadcasted SSIDs, after I broadcast them it works fine for all clients.

I think it isn't an auth problem, because you said all others are able to connect.

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for your response. You are right, it was not an authentication problem.

Just that the Laptops wouldnt try to find the network. Some Win7 laptops would find it after 5-6 mins. We have around 15-20 SSID profiles on each laptop. Its 1 SSID per site. All the SSIDs are pushed to the laptops using GPO so employees will be able to connect to the local wireless network if they are visiting other branches.

I'm sure broadcasting would work fine but our security policy does not allow me broadcast the internal SSID.

Thanks

Jeen

When you pushed out the GPO, did you specify to allow connection even if the SSID is not being broadcasted?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes, the SSIDs are configured to connect even if not broadcasted.

I came across and XP machine today that has Centrino 6300 Advances N adapter which didnt see the network.

We are running code 7.0.98.218 on all controllers. Majority of APs are in H-REAP Mode. Do you think it is a code related issue?

Anyone here faced a similar issue with 7.0.98.218?

Try to set the radio policy to 2.4ghz only just to test.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hello Scott,

I am unable to set the policy to 2.4 only since there are a lot of APs sharing the controller and dont want to bump off all the clients that are able to client.

Today tried upgrading a cleints wireless NIC drivers and that didnt make much difference. And I am not seeing any debug output on the WLC for this client.

I think either some laptops are not probing actively or the WLC is ignoring the probe requests.

Could someone please guide how can i check if the laptops are sending probe requests for a particular SSID ??

I know it can be done using a wireless sniffer, but unfortunately i am not based onsite nor there is anyone onsite who can help.

Thanks,

Jeen

Can you post your config so we can take a look and let us know what SSID that is having the issue.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank you for offering to look at the config.

I'm attaching the config.The SSID i'm having issue is

ELESM-MD7WH3FD.

Since this is using 802.1x, maybe the EAP timers have to be adjusted since it is going over the WAN.  Take a look at this docuement that explains how to set the EAP Timers:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12110

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

If this is an issue with EAP timers, would the client mac address be seen on WLC client debugs?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: