Views
Helpful
Replies

Wired users obtain IP address from internal DHCP_Wireless controller_AP

incognito
Level 1
Level 1

hello, team

we have only one subnet with /21 mask for our company. and we have wi-fi. We have 3 AP's 1832 series, one of them are working as WLC and AP while the rest 2 are working just AP's. 

we configured internal DHCP.

i have created DHCP pool for wireless users (only 40 IP addresses). My problem is that wired clients also getting IP addresses from this pool.

How to separate wireless users from wired users?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In that case Wired users make a IP address list allocated manually. but its difficult to manage here..

suggest to have DHCP for Wired users also from Switch you can allocate easily.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to seperate both the users different IP address range.,

Subnet your network /21 to small network as per requirement,

create new vlans for Wire and Wireless and allocate the respect VLAN for the users.

BB

thanks for the answer
I understand you. But i don't want wired users to get IP address from internal DHCP of wireless controller at all.
How to be in this case?

One more question. What if I will not use internal DHCP for wireless users and I will assign them IP address manually?

Because in my company only 30 users are using wi-fi stably. And for additional (in addition to these 30 people/devices) wireless users I will assign IP address manually too. Is it working scheme?

Thanks in advance!

I understand you. But i don't want wired users to get IP address from internal DHCP of wireless controller at all.
How to be in this case?

in this case you can setup another DHCP and point your helper address to that DHCP Server.

Wireless users allocating static IP address is not a reasonable approach my point of view.

Allocating the Wired users with FIXED IP address is viable solution, with MAC Binding on the port for that users ( depends on the switch model you have.)

Again it all depends how you like to be your network. many option can be put on table.

BB

we have only one DHCP server and we have to have only one DHCP server.
We have to have only one subnet with /21 mask without any creation of subnets, vlans. We created the DHCP pool on controller  only for wireless users with 40 address range but wired users obtain IP addresses from this pool  too which is not good for us.
how to be in this case? 

In this case you can reserve the IP address for wired clients ( that means you remove the allocation from that range.

and mentioned only range IP required for the wireless clients..

Which DHCP Server you are using ?

BB

sorry for confusing you. we don't have any dhcp server. we assign IP addresses for users manually, I mean static.
and we dont want wireless controller's internal DHCP to dynamically assign IP addresses for wired clients. We manually add MAC address of wireless users to the controller to connect to the wi-fi. After that those 'white-listed' wireless users get IP address from that DHCP pool.

In that case Wired users make a IP address list allocated manually. but its difficult to manage here..

suggest to have DHCP for Wired users also from Switch you can allocate easily.

BB

Thank you so much!!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: