cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless across WAN

tverhoeven
Level 1
Level 1

This has probably been answered before but here goes.

I have a 4402 controller at my head office and 1130ap's in a couple of offices throughout the area. The controller can see the ap's no problems and if I want clients to get the same wireless ip no matter what office they are in then everything works. That is not however what I would like. I want to be able to have each office use their current DHCP scope to hand out wireless ip's to their respective wireless clients. Is there someway to do that?? I am sure there has to be but I don't knwo what it is.

thanks

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

You can deploy the Cisco AP in HREAP mode with local switching. HREAP is designed for remote office locations.

Here is a link for more info ...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/ps8382/prod_brochure0900aecd806b7ec2.html

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

We have considered HREAP for some very remote offices but let me give everyone the big pic here

I have a HO with 4 remote offices within 5 km radius and the remaining 100 offices much more remote. I wanted to setup my local remotes with their own IP ranges for wireless without using HREAP and all other offices using HREAP or Autonomous if I had to.

Is there any recommendations of a design of this nature???

You may have success with deploying AP Groups. Have you worked with AP Groups before? Its a means of separating client subnets.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml#NetPro

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

That looks like a good idea unfortunately the people who put this network together did not setup the network this way. We go from a 1.2.2.x network to a secondary interface on the route of 1.2.3.x then route over to the head office through a wireless link. There is not room in the ip range of the link to address the controllers.

I may be missing something based on our back and fourth. What does your remote offices look like subnet wise. Each office is on its own subnet, correct? Each one is routed back to the main office? You originally stated you want the wireless user(s) to take IP address of the remote office address scope, correct. Where is your DHCP coming from, each remote office?

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card