cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Bridge for Healthcare Cart

Doug Thompson
Level 4
Level 4

I'm looking for an access point that will act as a wireless bridge. It will be installed on a mobile cart (with battery) to connect devices on the cart and bridge them onto the local wireless network. 

What are the current options for devices that will act as wireless bridges? The info (website, data sheets, etc) seem a little vague to non-existent when it comes to bridging specifically. 

Many thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

garrett76
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Doug,

I know your pain buddy. I'm the wireless admin for a healthcare vertical and went through this about 3 years ago. I tried the Silex bridges, they were ok but had roaming issues. I ended up using a 3702I AP in workgroup bridge mode and we haven't had many issues if any. I am however having to justify the cost every week but hey my phone isn't ringing with calls about the WoW carts. Good luck

Thanks Garrett. So, what would a solution today look like? A 3800? A 2800? I'm not sure which current models can act as bridges and which cannot. 

We are sticking with the 3702I AP as a bridge for now. I've been told by my SE that there isn't an autonomous image available for the x800 models and it sounds like there may never have that capability.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card