cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Bridge for Mobile Client

jasonwirz
Level 1
Level 1

What kind of hardware are people using for mobile bridges? I have not had good luck with Cisco 1242's in bridge mode with mobile-client enabled. The only reason we're using the Cisco access point over standard industrial bridges is because we need to manually forward the mac addresses of the devices behind the bridge. These are being installed on robotic forklifts. They have a generic ethernet scrolling marquee installed that does not maintain any active connections and drops from the fowarding table in the bridge if not staticly configured. I'm looking for an alternative because the roaming is not nearly as smooth as it should be.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to use the role "workgroup-bridge", not a bridge.

The workgroup bridge can be roaming around and is working quite well on code 12.4.25 with the 1242. We have it installed on trains, so roaming at 80km/h is approved :-)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to use the role "workgroup-bridge", not a bridge.

The workgroup bridge can be roaming around and is working quite well on code 12.4.25 with the 1242. We have it installed on trains, so roaming at 80km/h is approved :-)

Thank for the reply. I can finally test on the new code released a few weeks ago. We had to run a custom dev code since January to deal with this nasty IOS bug that was affecting our bridges.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtk77013

It turned all our robots into mobile wireless death stations. We could tell where the robot was in the building based on the access points locking up. Hopefully the new code roams as nice as you say it can. I'll have to test and post the results.

jasonwirz
Level 1
Level 1

The new 12.4.25 JA1 code was a huge improvement over the dev code Cisco had us running. The roaming performance was night and day different. We ran the two side by side. The new code roamed exactly as we would expect it to out of the box.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card