cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Design - WLC Configuration

Daniel Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

Soon to be working on a design for a Wireless installation across one of our buildings. The wireless survery has been completed, and we'll be installing 175 APs, across the 3 floors of the

building.

With regards to the back-end WLC setup, I have a few queries around the WLC configuration. We're looking at implementing the 4400 series of devices, and due to us having nearly 200 APs, we'll need at least 2 x 4404 or 4 x 4402 - I'm assuming its simpler to have fewer devices to make management simpler.

Also, looking at the Cisco reference material, they recommend that a 4404 can support up to 100 APs, with regards configuring the ports on the box, would I need to configure LAG across the WLC

ports in order for it to accomodate all of the Access Points. If we were to go with a scenario of using 2 x 4404 devices, would we be in a position whereby if we lost a Controller, we'd lose

all of the Access Points associated with that Controller? In order for us to have full resiliency, we'd need an additional 4404 controller for the APs to failover on too?

From a licensing perspective, we'll be purchasing a licence to cover 200 APs.

TIA

22 Replies 22

Sovath,

you have to clear some issues based on your comments above, especially about pinging gateway: So let's start with the basics;

1. Was layer 2 authentication successful with phone i.e were you able to join the SSID with the phone?

2. If layer 2 authentication was successful,did the phone rx an IP address?

3. What are you trying to achieve by joining the WLAN with your phone? Internet browsing?

4. If internet browsing, do you use a proxy?

Osita,

Your questions of number 4 opened up the door. We do have proxy server. I tested it by entering proxy setting in my iPhone with authentication and it works. So now we just need to setup the proxy setting in the DHCP scope so phone users don't have to set manually.

Thank you.

Oops! I still have problem. the scope option does not allow to set proxy setting. Is there a way to do that? For android phone there's no way to set proxy setting! but iPhone does.

Sovath

For android phone there's no way to set proxy setting! but iPhone does.

Yes and no.  This is an ongoing issue with Android since it was first identified.  The only way around Android OS and proxy is to get a browser that supports proxy such as Opera for Android.

As for iPhone and iPad, there's a particular proxy setting in the iOS that was broken since the introduction of 5.0 iOS.  We have similar issue that if proxy settings are enabled, the user will be prompted several times to enter their proxy username and password to the point of disbelief.

Do you think that the phone carrier change the Android OS kernel and removed the proxy setting option before they sell it to consumers? If it's so why would they do such thing?

RE: iPhone and iPad users if you use Windows proxy server and intergrated Windows authentication is enabled the credential should not be prompted for user if it's already entered in their devices. I don't use intergrated windows auth. so there's no prompt for credential. It only need proxy IP and port number for munual setting. URL for auto. 

Sovath

You should be able to configure option 252, which is proxy autodiscovery vendor option on Microsoft ISA server. The link below may help:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb839043.aspx

Do you think that the phone carrier change the Android OS kernel and removed the proxy setting option before they sell it to consumers? If it's so why would they do such thing?

As far as I'm aware, no.  Phone carriers don't care about wi-fi proxy.  They won't make any money if they do and they equally won't make money if they don't.  This "proxy" issue came straight from the developers of the Android OS themselves.  It's been highlighted since day one of the Android release.  This is why some browsers have incorporated proxy settings to their application because the Android OS developers are not interested to fix this shortfall.

RE: iPhone and iPad users if you use Windows proxy server and intergrated Windows authentication is enabled the credential should not be prompted for user if it's already entered in their devices.

Unfortunately, I don't have the details with me right now but I'll try to see if I still have this information when I go back to work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card